What's new
What's new

Any Reviews on Sanborn Air Compressors?

munruh

Hot Rolled
I have a CNC lathe and mill coming for my shop and need to upgrade my aircompressor. Just looked at Menards and they have the Sanborn air compressor line. I realize that Menards is not famous for industrial quality equipment, but I like the price on the bigger Sansborns air compressor there. Has anyone tried these or know much about the Sanborn brand? thanks

If you are looking for any reviews on a specific tool, Amazon.com has reviews, as well as Harbor Freight.

Of the two, Amazon has been compensating for reviews. I haven't heard that of Harbor Freight.

Perhaps Sears has a review system, but their site is such a mess....all I was looking for was 14mm impact sockets, and the search was returning 100s of spurious results.

The Menard's site has little or nothing in terms of reviews.

Home Depot and Lowe's may have reviews, but again, a really messy search system.

So, believe it or not, "Horrible Freight" may be the best place to research a specific tool's user satisfaction.

Since you asked specifically about air compressors, I would ask you "why not craigslist?". Sounds like you are looking for a "boat anchor" size of air compressor. In that case, you might a good deal on an Ingersoll Rand unit.

Oh, you didn't mention it, but perhaps you need to have single-phase?

One thing I would say, is STAY AWAY from any old Craftsman / Sears unit. For all intents and purposes, Sears makes no attempt to supply parts for those units, contrary to what us old white guys may imagine or hope.

thanks, I guess more I was wondering if there were any PM user here that had Sanborn experience.

thanks, I guess more I was wondering if there were any PM user here that had Sanborn experience.

I understand that, but while you are waiting for other members to comment, you can see what Harbor Freight may have to contribute, regarding Sanborn.

I just tried Googling "Sanborn Harbor Freight", and the first page of results have "rod knock" mentioned a few times.

Just saying...

On edit:
I will say that my shopping at Menard's makes me think that Menard's has savvy buyers that know what they purchase for the stores. Their Sanborn offerings include one with an ASME tank.

Perhaps if you told us which specific units have caught your attention? We would all like to trust that a specific corporate entity is 100% quality, but that's not the case, especially over time.

So, which units have your interest?

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-h...tical-stationary-air-compressor/p-1655323.htm

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-h...tical-stationary-air-compressor/p-1655327.htm

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-h...tical-stationary-air-compressor/p-1655324.htm

One of these?

Looking at the two here that I have attached. Thanks

Attachments

• Compressor 1.jpg
    Compressor 1.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 5,499
  • compressor 2.jpg
    compressor 2.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 5,875
Looking at the web site, it looks like the Sanborn has an ASME tank - if you want to use this in a shopt hat OSHA might visit, or that needs commercial insurance, ASME will be required. The compressor is also single stage, which is OK if you only need low pressure air, maybe up to about 120 PSIG. I am not a fan of Sanborn myself - there are many compressor manufacturers out there, and a good used commercial unit might outlast several Sanborns. If you're spending money on new machinery, don't skimp on an air compressor - low efficiency can really cost you in the long run. One trick some compressor manufacturers play is to crank up the speed of the compressor so they get more air from the pump, but at the price of lower efficiency and a shorter life for the compressor. As a general rule of thumb, you should get nearly 4 CFM of delivered air at 100 PSIG per HP for a very efficient compressor (a big, old IR reciprocating) - for instance, a 5 HP air compressor should deliver 18-20 CFM of compressed air. A low end wonder might deliver only about 2 CFM per HP (8-10 CFM for a 5 HP compressor). Don't confuse delivered air with displaced air - delivered CFM is what you have coming out of the compressor, while displaced CFM just is a mathematical measurement of the theoretical performance without losses figured in. The high speed compressors are designed for a home shop environment where the hours per year will be low - run the same compressor in a daily shop setting,and the compressor won't last nearly as long as a commercial-duty compressor. You get what you pay for really applies for compressors.

You've got a shop with a cnc mill and lathe and you want to upgrade your compressor. The newer Sanborns are more home use compressors. The main company (MAT) has better compressors in there Industrial air line up. I think you want a magnetic starter, 1750+or- rpm industrial grade motor, intercooler, probably 80 gal.
vertical (just assuming here). You can grab one for between $1500-2000 I would imagine. Look at the Northern tool and AirCompressorDirect site to get a feel for what's out there and what features are available. Ingersoll, Bel Aire, Quincy, Chicago pneumatic, Champion, Curtiss and on and on all have what you want. Once get a part # in your head then go online and get the best deal..... many have free shipping and that's on a 600+ lb. item. One outfit that is in the midwest and seems decent is CastAir in Minnesota, If you talk with the owner and explain your needs- he will tell you what to buy, even if it is from someone else. That happened to me. I have no affiliations with any of these people, just trying to hopefully point you in the right direction. There are many other options but I'm using the Menard prices and assuming you want to be somewhere close to that upper price range. Many good used compressors for sale but now your venturing into somewhat unknown territory. Good luck.

I have had a small one, 3/4hp I use to pump up tires with. It doesn't have a lot of output, but for what I wanted it does OK. I have another small compressor, don't recall the brand, has a small tank that I keep by the lathe and mill. It pumps up to 100# in about 2 minutes or less and is used for the usual blowing off work.

I doubt there aren't many actual different manufacturers of compressors, just a lot of labels.

Sanborn was bought by Coleman in the mid 90's then Coleman sold their compressor line to MAT industries. So I have no idea if the new Sanborn name has any relation to the older ones. I asked around and no one had any info on my SMC (sanborn machine company) compressor which needed rings. It was probably from 1980 or newer.
One feature I liked was it had a tube from the crankseal area to the intake so it suck up any oil leaks. I think it was also designed so buyers would think it was pressure lubed or had fancy valves.
Bill D.

I have a Sanborn oilless compressor. It's very noisy, the regulator assembly blew apart... but I have used it almost daily since 1994. I agree with rws, this is not much of a shop compressor. I'd be looking at the Tractor Supply IR 5hp for only $100 more. Ingersoll Rand 5 HP 60 gal. Single Stage Air Compressor - 3301332 | Tractor Supply Company 4cfm more at 90psi. They are both single stage compressors, the Sanborn being a W 3cyl, but not multi-stage.

Looking back over the past 17 years of compressor ownership I've had quite a number of 5-10 HP recip units including a 5HP Sanborn. It was a cheap POS, but it ran 6 or so hours a day for 5 years and I sold it for fair money.

Now that a whole lot is riding on having air in the shop I have an old Quincy 370 and a backup Quincy 350.

You've got a shop with a cnc mill and lathe and you want to upgrade your compressor. The newer Sanborns are more home use compressors. The main company (MAT) has better compressors in there Industrial air line up. I think you want a magnetic starter, 1750+or- rpm industrial grade motor, intercooler, probably 80 gal.
vertical (just assuming here). You can grab one for between $1500-2000 I would imagine. Look at the Northern tool and AirCompressorDirect site to get a feel for what's out there and what features are available. Ingersoll, Bel Aire, Quincy, Chicago pneumatic, Champion, Curtiss and on and on all have what you want. Once get a part # in your head then go online and get the best deal..... many have free shipping and that's on a 600+ lb. item. One outfit that is in the midwest and seems decent is CastAir in Minnesota, If you talk with the owner and explain your needs- he will tell you what to buy, even if it is from someone else. That happened to me. I have no affiliations with any of these people, just trying to hopefully point you in the right direction. There are many other options but I'm using the Menard prices and assuming you want to be somewhere close to that upper price range. Many good used compressors for sale but now your venturing into somewhat unknown territory. Good luck.

thanks for the reccomendation of CastAir. I called them and they gave some very good advice, I probably will end up buying from them.

I have a Sanborn, single stage, about 1978 vintage. Noisy and inefficient, it's ok for tires and home air tool use, but little else. The only reason it lasted this long is because it sits more than runs.

Back