What's new
What's new

Anyone with "Glastic" machining experience?

Done a ton of it.

Nasty to handle, unlike G10 the dust is super itchy

little bit stinky

Use a vacuum cleaner rather than compressed air to clean up, maybe with a jug of water on the outlet

cut with a diamond wheel in automatic cutoff saw or table saw or miter saw

I tend to use cheap carbide and keep an eye on wear, tools will last if work is not over fussy

I did not use coolant as it just creates mud and fills the sump with it

IF the customer wants pretty you will need to keep sharp tools, as the coarse fibers push away from tools and blow out the back of holes.

Color is darker on surface so you can't tumble etc for deburring

Most of what I did was for the interior supports for high voltage power supplies so looks were not the big worry

What Gustafson said..

It machines OK, you want high rpm on the end mill to cut clean and leave less "whiskers". That also tends to darken the cut edges, which otherwise are a light pink.

Smells like fiberglass, is even more itchy that you can imagine, The red GPO3 has a tendency to delaminate through the middle, in thicker sections.

The dust is highly abrasive, sticks to oily ways. You will want to do a clean-up after working with it

Coolant does make a muck, and if you use it, don't use any coolant with oil content, it stains the cut edges.

Parts benefit from a dunk in soap and water plus a rinse, if that is permitted, because it removes the dust.

Ah yes... I remember Glastic plates on vacuum fixtures. We did use coolant, and just filtered it through a bunch of mesh screens before going back into the tank... tool life was good. Keep the tools sharp to keep the cut edges good, drilling with carbide was no problem.

could be a slang term for glass filled plastic parts- which is a common thing. glass content varies, resins vary, most common in my experience with various grades of nylon. Makes for real impact resistant stuff- but still rebounds well.

as to machining- depends what you are doing to it, but plan on it being a PITA to deburr- and use razor sharp cutters to reduce it.

Thanks for all the replys. Need two each of these. Will cut them out of a 23"x36"x1.5" slab. Finished parts will have an assembled 9"h x25" w. Radius on holes will be 1". Would this stuff be a good candidate for water jet?
Thanks
i_r_
1927.jpg

Good advice so far. We had to turn down a batch of pieces about the size of large teacups without handles. We had a Plexiglass tube covering the part with just a slot for the bit and a hose on the back to a 3 hp Rotoclone dust collector. We could watch the dust go up the pipe, keeping it off the ways and more importantly did not have to breathe it. The glass dust is really bad for ways and lungs.

Bill

I like the idea of the plexi tube. What did you do on the mill? One of those transparent covers with the brush bristle "skirt"?

.... Would this stuff be a good candidate for water jet?
Thanks
i_r_

It can work. So that is a "maybe".

We had a lot of parts just explode during cutting due to pressure.

Whatever you do, DO NOT ALLOW the waterjet folks to "pierce". MAKE SURE they cut in from the side and NEVER try to pierce in the middle of the sheet. That will probably blow the part open. If you sneak in from the side, the pressure is never as high as when piercing, and there is always an escape path.

With that, it may work OK, although it is pretty thick. the thickest I have had waterjet cut was only a half inch or so. So no clue how the thicker would work, probably OK.

Waterjet seems to leave very few "whiskers". Nice clean cut parts. Still needed washed to get rid of the last dust. That dust is really nasty.

Glastic is a brand name for GP03

I have only done up to 3/8 or so

If waterjet has the accuracy you need, go for it, that means someone else is dealing with it....

If I were doing these, I would probably rip the sheet with a diamond wheel to the width needed and use one tool for the whole thing, the material is soft enough that it won't break the tool when the semicircle pops off and you are turning less to dust

My machines always had rubber way covers so I never worried about glass on the ways, if yours doesn't, it should

oh wear rubber gloves, really

when I was doing this stuff a lot I bought the cheap lunch lady gloves by the gross

If someone insists on using compressed air, or you have a tiny shop, you will need a mask

It will both clog a vac filter in minutes and blow through it, thus my suggestion for a water filter[anyone have a Rainbow vac?]

Ah yes... I remember Glastic plates on vacuum fixtures. We did use coolant, and just filtered it through a bunch of mesh screens before going back into the tank... tool life was good. Keep the tools sharp to keep the cut edges good, drilling with carbide was no problem.

We did this off and on, but felt in the end that the glass never got out of the coolant and tool life on other jobs suffered

Thanks for all the knowledge. I was supposed to start the job on Tuesday, but found out this morning that upper management got squimish and moved the job out 30 days for better "prep work". Good to know about the waterjet blowing the stuff apart.
Thanks again!
i_r_

Back