What's new
What's new

Anyone have clue to what this is used with?

Frizzen

Aluminum
The people that have it thought it was for an Oliver 300 tool grinder but the Oliver people Say it’s not theirs. Talking with others it seems it maybe for Cincinnati 2 tool grinder? I have no idea what a #2 looks like or if it is a tool grind, just what was suggested as a possibility. I would say it is possibly a radius grinding attachment, but that is just a guess.

612CEF8C-1427-42CB-8D76-F8F27FD1A302.jpg
DB310477-97E4-48A0-B17D-553EDCC35680.jpg
BD5CE6DE-D1E0-44A3-9E6B-D9BCFABE2B5E.jpg

Sorry, don’t have better pictures. I know they aren’t great but was hoping someone would recognize it anyway. Oliver of Adrian say it’s not theirs. Thanks for the reply.

That looks like the radius grinding attachment for the Cincinnati #2 tool and cutter grinder, with an incomplete work head mounted on it. Here's a scan from page 73 of Cincinnati publication M-737-9 (from sometime after July 1949 when M-737-7 was published).

Added in edit: This is a #2 radius grinding attachment, intended to put 0-1" radii on shell mills and face mills up to 12" diameter. (Manual says "the ingenious operator" can find ways to grind larger radii.) There is also a #1 radius grinding attachment intended for smaller ball nose milling cutters, which does not have the large "pivot well" which hangs off the back of the TC grinder table. Both the #1 and #2 radius grinding attachments work with the #2 tool and cutter grinder, or any similar machine such as a KO Lee, or indeed Oliver.

Attachments

• #2 tc radius grinding attachment.jpg
    #2 tc radius grinding attachment.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
The people that have it thought it was for an Oliver 300 tool grinder but the Oliver people Say it’s not theirs. Talking with others it seems it maybe for Cincinnati 2 tool grinder? I have no idea what a #2 looks like or if it is a tool grind, just what was suggested as a possibility. I would say it is possibly a radius grinding attachment, but that is just a guess.

View attachment 214882
View attachment 214883
View attachment 214884

See if it might be for a Royal Oak or even a P&W - both of whom made radius grinders or attachments.

And then there are/were the European makers...

May be far, far, from a "bolt-on", but a clever guy with a need can usually find a way to adapt more easily than DIY from-scratch, as the "basics" are all already there.

Someone will want it. Attachments - all types - for any make of T&C grinder seem to vanish into black holes, leaving behind but the naked and shivering skeletons of their grinder hosts...

:(

View attachment 214882
View attachment 214883
View attachment 214884

Did you ever figure out who made it?
Have you tried to use it?

Back