What's new
What's new

Anyone on hear build their own drum toper/canopener

zach123

Aluminum
I have been thinking a drum topper of some sort has got to beat torching and grinding the lids off of 54 gallon drums. I only do 10 or so a year but just don't like the messy job it dose. has anyone built their own.

I've considered a #2 horizontal as a good start on a "can opener" style of drum deheader.

Seriously....

Not sure if a #2 (with table removed) would have 36 inches under the cutters, though.

earplugs, a 4" wide masonry chisel, and a 2 lb hammer.

Takes all of 2 minutes and leaves a clean edge.

yes there is a learning curve, but why stay dumb all thru life ?

McMaster has one for relatively short money. I've used these and they work pretty well, and will open a drum quickly and cleanly.

McMaster-Carr

I strongly second what huflungdung says. Very dangerous indeed. I had a good friend of mine who ran the marina where I kept my boat kill himself doing that. He was always cutting the tops off drums to make trash cans, cleaning tanks etc. One day he got one that had Johns Manville written on the side. He took off the bung and sniffed it. Nothing. He started to cut and it blew 50 feet in the air. It almost took his head off. His poor wife came running out of the marina house and had to see that. Terrible thing. Never ever put a torch to a drum unless it is completely full of water.

After I re-attached the last inch of my thumb with super glue I went back to using the torch to open drums.

Those can openers leave a super sharp edge. Sharp enough to cut through thick leather gloves and your thumb.

I can torch a lid off in 15 seconds and it leaves a perfect, non-sharp edge.

After I re-attached the last inch of my thumb with super glue I went back to using the torch to open drums.

Those can openers leave a super sharp edge. Sharp enough to cut through thick leather gloves and your thumb.

I can torch a lid off in 15 seconds and it leaves a perfect, non-sharp edge.

Yeah, it's fine until the one time it isn't. Pretty hard to cut your finger off with a manual drum deheader.

Back