What's new
What's new

Anyone here replace/repair a Bernzomatic self-igniting torch ignitor?

greenbuggy

Stainless
I've got a Bernzomatic TS8000 torch which I use fairly frequently in the shop and on the ski hill (our snowmachines and hydrants have a few components which like to ice up, and portable torches are the bees knees for de-icing tips). In the last couple months the ignitor has been on the way out to the point where it hardly *ever* actually ignites by itself. Since carrying around a flint starter seems to defeat the purpose of having a self-igniting torch I'd like to just replace the ignitor, but there doesn't seem to be much info out there as to how to do this or what part or ignitor style it takes to replace the old one.

FYI if you were considering purchasing a bernzomatic torch they won't sell individual parts to you and sending your old one in for repair is less economical than buying a brand new one. I'm fairly certain Bernzomatic doesn't even make them - If I had to guess someone like APC International, Inc does. Just wondering if anyone else has attempted this before I tear into mine. Worse comes to worse I'll just buy a new one.

Not sure where you would buy the replacement part from. It was most likely custom made for the application, and sold only to Bernzomatic.

You can get functionally similar devices from "electronic" cigarette lighters or gas BBQ igniters. It is a piezoelectric ceramic "crystal" that is banged with a spring loaded hammer driven by a mechanism similar to an automatic center punch. Generates a 10kV or so output pulse. Finding one that will physically fit into the torch is the trick.

I have a HF torch with the igniter button.
When it stops sparking it is from the ceramic insluator having moisture or dirt on it letting the spark bypass the gap.
If you can see/get to the insluator try cleaning it or blow off with compressed air.
Also propane is harder to light in cold weather.

I have had the most problems with the self lighting and the manual lighting kind. AAMOF I have a drawer full of non working propane/mapp torches that will not work in one way or the other. They one that quit on me just last night ceased to suck air so it just yellow flames. I guess it's clogged somewhere but it's not like I buried it in a hole. WTF, how complicated are they?

I have found that blowing across the tip, gunslinger style, allows my torch to light. I'm thinking it's a lack of oxygen within the burner tip.

Why nobody has taken on Bernzomatic and made a reliable torch, I don't know, but they have churned out those crappy torches for a few decades, it seems.

Please remove the torch from the area of your face before attempting to light it.

My memory is a little foggy, because it has been 5-6 years ago, but I have had the Bernzomatic and the Goss. Both had stopped working.

I called both companies about repair or warranty. Repair wasn’t cost effective. I don’t remember all the details, but I ended up buying one new from each company. Goss sold me their upgraded model for half price. Bernzomatic was not that cooperative.

While waiting for the two new ones to arrive I repaired the Goss and the Bernzomatic went into the trash. In the Goss, the wire from the igniter had become frayed and was grounding out against the frame and I fixed that. I don’t recall much about the Bernzomatic and why it went into the trash.

When the two new torches arrived, I compared them and kept the one I liked, and gave the Bernzomatic to my son. The Goss seems to be better made.

BTW, I did find out why they don’t sell parts. Liability, they don't trust you.

Yes, replace your Bernzomatic igniter.

I've got a Bernzomatic TS8000 torch which I use fairly frequently in the shop and on the ski hill (our snowmachines and hydrants have a few components which like to ice up, and portable torches are the bees knees for de-icing tips). In the last couple months the ignitor has been on the way out to the point where it hardly *ever* actually ignites by itself. Since carrying around a flint starter seems to defeat the purpose of having a self-igniting torch I'd like to just replace the ignitor, but there doesn't seem to be much info out there as to how to do this or what part or ignitor style it takes to replace the old one.

FYI if you were considering purchasing a bernzomatic torch they won't sell individual parts to you and sending your old one in for repair is less economical than buying a brand new one. I'm fairly certain Bernzomatic doesn't even make them - If I had to guess someone like APC International, Inc does. Just wondering if anyone else has attempted this before I tear into mine. Worse comes to worse I'll just buy a new one.

A suitable substitute piezo igniter can be located at a website called Zoro.com, search for “piezo igniter” and/or G4369872 for an igniter. Only one allen head screw needs to be removed to make this repair, it’s located above the red trigger, be careful the trigger lock will spring out of it’s position and you’ll be crawling around the floor looking for it. Some modifcations are necessary to the replacement igniter. First, the wire lead has too large of insulator on the wire and second, the plastic of the replacement needs filing to fit in the Bernzomatic TS4000 housing. I stripped off the insulator ¼” at a time until all insulation was removed, then filed the plastic at the base of the wire to look like a volcano to fit the housing. I cut the wire approximately 3/4” long and used heat shrink to replace the insulator and installed. Smiles at beating the planned obsolescence.

i have been replacing the igniter on the bernzomatic ts4000 with the rheme water heater igniter for 3.80 off amazon. cut the wire and grind down some of the plastic on the wire lead base and way you go. work about as long as the factory one

Old thread, but timely for me.
I've got one of the piezo igniter torches.... it quit.
There is no inexpensive variety of these things....

In the past I think I have taken one to Home Depot and gotten a new one as wtty.

On mine the plastic insulator sleeve around the small tube had cracked. That air gap was big enough that the spark jumped there.. Test it at night outside, with no moon to look for mis sparking.
I pulled out the two pieces and applied super glue just before putting them in the hole. Who knew super glue was a good insulator.
Bill D

I had enough dirt in mine the arc was jumping to ground at the top of the igniter. I fixed that problem, then had the bright idea of washing the body out with maf cleaner, which is hexane and ethanol iirc, no acetone..

This dissolved some component inside the igniter so the mechanism doesn't work 90% of the time.

I have one that has worked great for a couple decades. Only gotcha is the button sometimes does not reset until you tap it. I think the spring just needs to be stretched.

I found excellent diagrams in the patent.

US4348172-drawings-page-2.pngUS4348172-drawings-page-3.pngUS4348172-drawings-page-4.png

My son matt says that hamging the torch on a nail is often the reason for the fail.
Mine at hunting camp (kellyroadcamp.com) dosent work so I have to lite it with a match.

QT:
Darn, I was in a hurry and did not take a photo of the nice 8pt I got Saturday.

*Reminder to Deer hunters CARROTS ARE BAD FOR DEER.
The Wisconsin D&R paid for a college study when considering baiting back in the mid-70s, the study proved carrots are like genetic poison to deer.
All the other baits and salt blocks are good for deer

Last edited:
I have found that blowing across the tip, gunslinger style, allows my torch to light. I'm thinking it's a lack of oxygen within the burner tip.

Why nobody has taken on Bernzomatic and made a reliable torch, I don't know, but they have churned out those crappy torches for a few decades, it seems.

Please remove the torch from the area of your face before attempting to light it.
its just a hobby grade torch. real torches are made by other companies and use acetylene and larger bottles.

Back