What's new
What's new

OT- Shipping a 100 lb. crate from Australia

Andy FitzGibbon

Diamond
I have no experience with overseas shipping of heavy items, but am in a situation where I may need to have an approximately 100 lb. crate shipped from Australia. Dimensions would be (roughly) 20x15x10. Looks like UPS would be right around $500- I'm hoping for something cheaper than that. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Andy

Shipping from Australia...

100lbs is 45,3 Kg. Can be shipped by Air. Why a "crate"? ( wood, I presume?)
A 45kg Item can just as safely be shipped in heavy multiple corrugated Cardboard, maybe with a Wood or Polystyrene re-inforced Base. ( less mass than a Fully wooden crate.)

UPS, FedeX and DHL all ship from Australia to the World. Also TNT and Toll Global.
Prices are much the same for all (DHL is the most expensive).

Best to get a professional forwarder to handle it all ( packaging, Customs exit, Airline, etc).

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Blankfire P/L

PS, we use UPS and FedeX for shipment USA--Aust; and Toll Global outgoing.

Watch out for wood crates. I know that many countries will reject wood for the USA unless it is kiln dried or plywood/particle board. Does the US do the same? This is to make sure no bugs are alive in the wood.
Bill D.

Thanks for the advice. UPS looks the cheapest at $622.23 (DHL is around $900 and FedEx is over $1,000). Was hoping somebody might have another idea that would be less expensive (of course...).
Andy

Back