What's new
What's new

Anyone Know about Hembrug a-1 lathes ?

gwilson

Diamond
Does anyone have information as to the Hembrug A-1 lathe possibly being made in an inch model,or is it metric only? Also,what gear is needed to convert the gearbox to cut inch threads ? Thanks for any help,or any other info you might have about this lathe.

Thank you,mark. I do not know how to get the Hembrug A-1 listing in the archives to come up. It's the first thing listed under Hembrug.

I have an AI Hembrug DR-1 lathe. It is inch/metric and modul, although the dials are inch only. These lathes have a quick change gearbox built in, but also use change gears for the rather large range of threads. (1.5 modul cast iron gears, pressure angle unknown)

What model are you considering? (I have a DR-1 M, which used a now obsolete Philips variable speed motor drive...other models have three pulleys on the spindle and two speed motors. The belts are untensioned by opening the access door, an elegant design.

Apparently American models have a spindle that will accept a 5C spindle. 4MT taper in the headstock, buyer's choice in the tailstock; either 2 or 3 MT. European collets are the obscure B-24 series which were supplied by AI or Schaublin. No current collet production, but the drawbar and spindle adapter for these lathes could be modified to fit a 4C collet

There were taper attachments available, as well as hydraulic copy attachments. Collet closers and dividing heads were also options.

The ways are bolted on hardened tool steel, the cross slides incorporate tapered gibs. The apron is large, has tee-slots and the rear incorporates ball bearings under the ways. Standard bronze nut/steel screws with thrust bearings. The apron includes an adjustable clutch mechanism for the feeds. Some models have a fwd/rev lever operated switch on the apron. Oiling is by oil gun fittings rather than a Bijur type as found on 10EE's (for example)

The leadscrews on these lathes are reversible end for end to correct for wear...they obviously are symetrical, and have a ball bearing support at the tailstock end. Having seen Tony's site you can see the diagram for the apron/saddle/compound. Well engineered machine. (And yes, if not for Tony's site I wouldn't have been tempted...I could have had a taig!)

Speaking of the leadscrew...the tumbler reverse mechanism employs two micarta gears-the fuse in the mechanism. (there are no shear pins). If you have a crash these gears will strip, and they are expensive to replace via a dealer in Holland.

The headstock is cast with the ways in one piece. it's impressive as all get out, but it complicates restoration if such is required. (keeping way grinding paralell to the axis of the spindle.)

Spindle bearings are still available, and the design is broadly similar to the late Schaublin 102 lathes...two angular contact bearings rear, one double row roller at front. Back gear easily selectable, 4:1 speed reduction. stock spindle speed range is 45-4000 rpm.

My machine was imported to Australia in approx 1965 and has the full length chip pan which extends to the left of the headstock. Earlier machines lacked this feature. The later models were called DR-133, and featured a more modern squared off look with the bed lengthened to 24" standard. (The DR-1 was 20" or 30")

Let me know if you want anything else...

Greg

Last edited:
"
I do not know how to get the Hembrug A-1 listing in the archives to come up. It's the first thing listed under Hembrug."

Is it coming up for you now?
If not,scroll down to the bottom of this page and look for "archive",it`s in the line just above the advert for Routermate.
Click archive then the specific forum you want the whatever message you want to read.
Apologies if I`m telling you something you already know..It took me months to find these archives,Milacron kept saying they were all there for anyone to view but I just couldn`t see them.If you still can`t get it,drop me a PM and I`ll cut and paste the article to you.
Mark.

That is one comprehensive write-up Greg.

Hi Lambert, thanks.

I forgot to tell him how impressive the base casting is too: One piece cast iron with internal webs and bulkheads, each almost 1" thick. Provision for coolant pump. The typical machine weighs approx 900 kg, about 1 ton.

I also neglected to mention that the spindle is a D1-4 camlock

The best way for me to describe this machine is to observe that it is somewhere between a Schaublin and a Monarch. It certainly is very well built, beautiful castings and proportions. A product made at the end of an era...the zenith of toolmaking skills yet the modern MBA had yet to be invented.

Greg

To ad something to the writings above

It is a Dutch lathe but no longer supported by Hembrug
They only do hard turning machines now
For support you can contact
http://www.schinfa.nl/pages/handelhome.html
But I don`t know if they give support abroad
If someone knows please let me know

There are many models made
1000rpm 2000rpm and 4000 rpm versions
Hardened bedways like Greg discribed but also soft ones
Feeds just on the apron and on the apron and cross slide
With and without gearbox for the feeds
Threaded or camlock spindle
500mm or 750 mm between centers
And then the rare M model Greg has

About the 2 gears the tumbler reverse mechanism employs on the DR1
Nowadays they are redisigned with Nylon or delrin or other plastic gears
Modul 2, Z=22 and 15mm wide with 2 bearings 61901zz each
So if you can get some plastic gears M2 Z=22 and minimum 15mm wide you can make your own
The DR133 has different gears BTW

you need a gear Z=127 to make inch threads when you have a metric
leadscrew and vica versa(Like for most lathes. 1 inch is 25.4mm 25.4x5=127)

Standard collets are B25 (not B24 Greg mentoined) but also not available new any more
But working with an adapter you can use any collets as long as it has a MT4 adaptor (If it has the MT4 spindle of coarse) and you make your own drawbar for it

Peter

I have a guy that has sets of fiber gears for the cross side on the Hembrug DR1. Larry 208 386-0692

Back