What's new
What's new

lincoln sp-125 plus

tbird

Plastic
hello, to all.
i joined here hoping someone could help me out. i have a lincoln sp-125 plus. the thing worked awsome. It was stored in my dads basement on the floor and the city storm drain backed up and put 3in of water into the machine:angry:. I tried to use it the other day and this is what happened.
First. the wire would not come out. i took apart the motor for the wire feed and cleaned the rollers. it fed the wire like a champ. when i tried to weld, it would go about 1 inch and the whole machine would shut down. wait 5sec. and do the same thing. the wire speed and volts worked though. after a couple tries of this the wire would not feed again.
could it be the liner? wire feed motor? transformer?:angry:
can someone please help me out or put this in the right forum if this is not the correct one.
thanks,
mike

hello, to all.
i joined here hoping someone could help me out. i have a lincoln sp-125 plus. the thing worked awsome. It was stored in my dads basement on the floor and the city storm drain backed up and put 3in of water into the machine:angry:. I tried to use it the other day and this is what happened.
First. the wire would not come out. i took apart the motor for the wire feed and cleaned the rollers. it fed the wire like a champ. when i tried to weld, it would go about 1 inch and the whole machine would shut down. wait 5sec. and do the same thing. the wire speed and volts worked though. after a couple tries of this the wire would not feed again.
could it be the liner? wire feed motor? transformer?:angry:
can someone please help me out or put this in the right forum if this is not the correct one.
thanks,
mike

First of all, you are likely covered by your dad's homeowner's insurance.

If you get voltage to your wirefeed motor's leads (test them by sticking pins into the wires and clip voltmeter leads to the wires) and if that voltage varies when you move the wirespeed knob, the main board is probably OK.

To rule out binding in the gun (tip, liner, etc) completely remove the gun from the machine.

Now run the thing, connecting a remote starter switch or wiring a switch to the gun's trigger terminals. Does the motor move when you connect the trigger terminals (i.e. actuate the switch)? If so, does it change speeds when you change the wire speed knob? If it seems to reliably work, then your wirefeed motor is probably OK. If it doesn't, then you probably need a new motor. You could try removing the motor and flushing it with distilled water, blowing it out with compressed air, then flooding it with hot air from a hair dryer, finishing with leaving it on a heating pad for about 24 hours. (Same thing you try with a cellphone if you drop it in a toilet).

If the board and motor seem fine then the problem is in the gun itself. Pull the liner and blow it out with compressed air, then reassemble and try again.

The board is at the top of the machine so that should be fine. You are running new wire, right? Also change the liner. 3" of water is enough to get to the liner and it will rust.

Everything else should be OK if you have the motor going. The main transformer should be rinsed out with distilled or demonized water and allowed to dry. An infrared heater can help speed up the process.

thanks,
I pulled the trigger and the motor for the wire did not turn. I took it out and hooked it up to a battery and the motor just hummed. The motor is bad. Does anyone know where i can get one and how much?The motor is a merkle-korff industries. 5352-c 30000
M15431u.

Wire Feed motor Voltage Range

First of all, you are likely covered by your dad's homeowner's insurance.

If you get voltage to your wirefeed motor's leads (test them by sticking pins into the wires and clip voltmeter leads to the wires) and if that voltage varies when you move the wirespeed knob, the main board is probably OK.

To rule out binding in the gun (tip, liner, etc) completely remove the gun from the machine.

Now run the thing, connecting a remote starter switch or wiring a switch to the gun's trigger terminals. Does the motor move when you connect the trigger terminals (i.e. actuate the switch)? If so, does it change speeds when you change the wire speed knob? If it seems to reliably work, then your wirefeed motor is probably OK. If it doesn't, then you probably need a new motor. You could try removing the motor and flushing it with distilled water, blowing it out with compressed air, then flooding it with hot air from a hair dryer, finishing with leaving it on a heating pad for about 24 hours. (Same thing you try with a cellphone if you drop it in a toilet).

If the board and motor seem fine then the problem is in the gun itself. Pull the liner and blow it out with compressed air, then reassemble and try again.

I know this post is old but I am having a similar problem with a SP 125 Plus. I checked the voltage across the pins on the control board that go to the wire feed motor. With the machine on and the trigger pins jumped (ON all the time) I was getting 0 volts on the meter no matter where the wire feed speed knob was. This leads me to believe that the board is 'toast' but before purchasing a new board, I want to verify that the wire feed motor still works. Any idea what the appropriate voltage range is to send to the motor is to get it to function? 0-12V DC? 0-24V DC? Maybe an AC voltage range?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Back