What's new
What's new

Anyone use Val Cut trepanner tool?

Ray Behner

Diamond
Just thought I'd ask, to see what (if any) responses there are. It's somewhat slow for say a 5'' hole. Probably .100 per minute, but it cuts a nice hole and is easy to control. Had these 1/2'' plates to bore to size, so I first used this tool to cut undersize. Never used the pilot bit. Don't see a need for it, unless you need to flip the piece over. Mine is a 3 MT shank and will cut 12''. Never cut bigger than 8.875 for a 9'' bore job, but I think a 12'' would do fine also.

val1.jpg

val2.jpg

Dave,
Yes it works in steel. That's 1018 in the pic. Super easy in Al. Also have the same thing for the lathe, but I like the Manchester Ranger better for that. I got this from Penn Tool, but they sure got pricey the last couple years. Mine is the 3000 series. Think I paid $285 for it several years ago. Plus added a 12'' extention bar for another $60 or something. Maybe MSC has it for twice the price!
Oh yeah, I also used it to cut scallops out of four corners of 4140 ht plate. That was an interupted cut, but worked fine. ''Slow rev'' is the key word.
Ray

I've had mine for ~8 years, and am very impressed by it. They obviously put a lot of thought into the geometry of the cutting tool. Very smooth operation.

Used it on the Bridgeport many times in steel, aluminum, brass, and plastics of various types, with excellent results every time.

Highly recommend it.

- Leigh

Any comments about sharpening/resharpening techniques/frequency, etc for the Val Cut?
Its magic, not a clue :D. It does look alittle complex, but I haven't really examined it. Mine seems to last a long time.

About all I do is grind the bottom of the cutter the same as it was until there's a sharp edge again. Nothing to scientific for me. If it was, I couldn't do it.

I regularly use an 8mm Val-cut trepanning tool on my manual lathe ....

interesting .... presumably the negative slope of the entire bit is so that when it flexes under increased pressure, it relieves the depth automatically?

(I have a swan-neck Ifanger screwcutting holder which is a somewhat more elaborate variation on the same idea, works well)

I presume the tool is a sort of keystone section, viewed end on (ie narrower at bottom than top)? Is it assymetrical?

interesting .... presumably the negative slope of the entire bit is so that when it flexes under increased pressure, it relieves the depth automatically?

(I have a swan-neck Ifanger screwcutting holder which is a somewhat more elaborate variation on the same idea, works well)

I presume the tool is a sort of keystone section, viewed end on (ie narrower at bottom than top)? Is it assymetrical?

Yup,
George Val (Swiss guy) calls it "the drag cut principle". The cutting edge swells to a greater size so you can grind the bottom without having to recut relief on the sides. I'm pretty impressed with it. There's even instructions in the box on how to resharpen.
Ray

Val Cut made by SPI

Was looking for a Val Cut trepanning tool I found a few inserts with the Val Cut name but no tool holders. I did find some trepanning tools made by SPI that are very similar.

Does anyone know if SPI purchased VAL Cut?

Marci

Marci,
Don't think SPI manufactures anything. He (Ors Pesko) just rebadges whatever he sells. Therefore he may have gotten the rights to rebadge the Val-Cut. Where'd you find them?
Ray

Back