What's new
What's new

OT - Salvaging brazing rod

Alchymist

Cast Iron
I have a lot of the flux coated brazing rod that has been in storage a looong time. When the torch is applied, the flux coating just turns black and does nothing, sort of charcoals up. Obviously won't flux anything. Anyone run into this before, and if so, solutions?

old braizing rod

Just one: I too have a lot of old brass rod. Some of it is water damaged etc. Brush, scrape off the old coating and go see your gas supplier. They "should" have a small can of powdered coating that is/was reddish in colour. You heat up the rod with your torch, dip it in the powder and go to town. It works as well as the pre-coated stuff. BTW, this is up here in British Columbia so maybe the states or elsewhere might not have the stuff available. wayne.
Oh ya; keep the powder dry.

Yes, I'm aware of the separate flux ..stuff I have is white though.....problem is removing the old stuff - it's like it's glued on.....very time consuming.

The flux I use is light blue granules. Don't worry with getting the old flux off, just heat the rod and dip it in the granules until it is coated, then have at it.

World's greatest granular flux applicator for pre-fluxing large areas... salt shaker. Put some in it, shake where needed (even with the work hot, where it'll stick), put remainder back in the can at the end of the day to keep it dry.

Alky,

Whack the damned thing down on your welding table like you would whack a yardstick across a kid's ass who sassed you. Damned near all of it will fly off. Then use something like Harris flux. Either paint it on your to be seam, or dip the hot stick in the jar to coat it.

For sheet metal, I use a carbon sharpened like a pencil and I can lay brass as fast as I can move the arc and the wire. No flux. That is needed for gas brazing. I have 50 or so pounds of Tobin Bronze and some other wire that I have no idea the pedigree of. They both do very well when I need to braze.

Cheers,

George

Back