What's new
What's new

APKT 11T308, r390 11t308 vs APKT 1003 compatibility?

MattiJ

Titanium
Just wondering are any of these milling inserts interchange?

APKT 11T308 is ZCC designation
R390 is Sandvik designation
and APK1003 is what "every one else" uses.

APKT-lookalikes are !#¤%"¤%&"#! goddamn mess. And in bigger sizes there is inserts in size 15, 16 and 17 :angry:

A potentially dangerous Request.Path value was detected from the client (&).
Edit: Iscar website and PM don't play along but the above "potentially dangerous..." should work

Insert dimensions seem to match between Sandvik R390 11T390 and APKT1003.

So I'm inclined to think that:
APKT1003 is measured from cutting edge lenght
R390 11T390 same as above but with Sandvik's retard naming scheme and its measured from "flat to flat"
APKT 11T390 is also probably same as above but I don't have any of them on hand.

AP*T 11********* replace the star with anything you wish and in my experience at least there all cross comparable, the * in the letters is just a tolerance band the inserts are made too. switching that 11 to a 10 and following iso insert standards things should no longer be compatible, but like you say its a mess.

FYI i use that size a lot very very productively on a Bridgeport mill running under cnc control. Realy like ISCAR inserts for milling too, they seam to just hold up longer and cut better than most the competition in that size - shape. They also have the best range of radius corners afalible in that insert style and they come in really useful at times! Its a very low cost insert shape and holder style. If you follow the cnc section then several people recoment the manufacturer specific smaller insert tool's using unique to that OEM insert shapes, they may well cut better, but me i love the range and price point AP*T 11 offers me.

R390 is proprietary and not interchangeable with anything else, and I don't know what the magic ingredient is but they greatly outperform anything APxx, including other premium tools like seco turbomill and iscar helimill etc.

R390 is proprietary and not interchangeable with anything else, and I don't know what the magic ingredient is but they greatly outperform anything APxx, including other premium tools like seco turbomill and iscar helimill etc.

Thanks. Might explain why I have one unknown origin shoulder mill and 10 boxes of R390 inserts that appear to fit badly on the insert pocket.
Edit: the R390 insert is enough close that I can forcibly fit it with the screw but it seems too tight fit.

Back