What's new
What's new

Portable Line borer bearings

RC99

Diamond
I have to get my act into gear and make this line borer so I can rebuild the rippers on our dozer..

Only bit I am not sure of is what sort of bearings to use in the bar guides that you weld onto the part you are boring... Do they use just plain deep groove ball bearings or cylindrical bearings, plain bearings or tapered roller???

The guys that did line boring on my equipment had cylindrical brgs in their pillow blocks.When they tacked the mounting brackets on , that surface was hardly square to the bore. Something I always wanted to do

Unless you get perfectly parallel weld plates, wouldn't you want spherical bearings?

It would be very difficult under field conditions to get single-row tapered bearings under proper preload. Other options require pretty good alignment, or the use of close-coupled bearings that don't have much allowance for alignment.

Climax (http://www.cpmt.com/products/boring-machines) uses spherical bearings, for example. No connection.

Jim

Something I always wanted to do

I don't have much choice if I want an affordable repair... I live in a mining region, except I don't work in the mining field... The mines are very well off and the people who do line boring for them know that and set their rates accordingly... It is not uncommon for them to work out the back of a ute (pickup) and charge $100+ an hour.. Rates like this are just unaffordable for anyone who does not make money like the mines do..

I agree with self aligning bearings, flange or pillowblock etc, but, for those that don't know, a word of caution.

A lot - not all - of the setcrew fixed ''conveyor type'' bearings as mentioned above, have OS bores,......... only a few thou...... (I think to accomodate nominal dia as drawn bright steel)......which doesn't matter on low speed low precision machinery, but it might on higher precision applications.

Tip 1 - check the static and dynamic load specs, the housings are usually the weak link.

Tip 2 - the housings normally wear out before the bearing as they're not sealed,......... keep that grease gun going.

The rig i use to use just had bronze bushes in a shop made holder, Simply tack lwed to were you need them. A oil gun was part of the kit too. They were even split for adjustmen. they were relitifly stubby thou probaly less than 1 1/4" long and had a 2" bore to fit the bar from memory. Whilst it seams crude due to the low speed and only occasional use they held up pritty well considering.

Portable Line Borer

If this is for 1 time use then most anything will probably be good enough. I have seen homemade (lathe bored) steel bushings used in the old oil patch. After all, just how precision will your ripper holes be after a few weeks use? I assume you plan to weld the new bushings into the ripper after boring out the worn holes so extreme accuracy will not be needed.

If you actually plan to go into business then you should consider self aligning pillow blocks - flange type would be more compact.

Back