What's new
What's new

Bad stainless steel, ever seen this?

SND

Diamond
Was at a customers shop yesterday and a couple of these landed in, just the roughing stage.
Material is 316SS, starts from 7 or 8" solid round bar, hole is about 6" and 10" deep of so.
I've seen this sort of look on aluminum a few times, and definitely had some horrible to machine stainless before, or cracks a few times, but never saw this with stainless until now.
They have certs and all, but I don't know yet who's the mill that made it and in what country.

Any thoughts on what causes this? looks like the batch wasn't mixed right. I wonder what it might do to the actual integrity of the material, perhaps more corrosion prone in that area, or weaker?

DSCF0007-2.jpg

I believe who ever was mixing it put little bit of concrete,
just to make it stronger , harder or whatever

:)

looks nice ;)

We use alot of 316 or 304 and I've seen pourous castings and sand in the casting but never on billet. However we used iron foundry and thats what some of the ductile casting would come in looking like after machining them. They didnt quite get the mix right when they poured. Harder than the knobs of hell they were to machine.

I showed this to our materials guru. Kinda what I thought, but he confirmed. The mill either didn't heat the ingot enough or it just wasn't worked enough to get the cast structure out.

China or Romania would be my bet.
JR

Never saw that before in a solid round bar but this is a problem that tipically appears in cast parts when the water quench is not made at the right temperature, this will affect to corrossion resistance

It looks to me like different parts of the bar? casting? cooled at different rates. The normal small grain structure resulting from fairly rapid cooling, the large crystals resulting from slow cooling from high temperature, allowing the crystals to grow. I don't think it has anything to do with impurities

2c worth

I once saw a similar effect in some flat bar "316".
It was magnetic "316" in the different lookng areas.
I rejected the lot but it was never explained.

I have also seen the like in HAZ.

Back