What's new
What's new

tool post holders

berger

Aluminum
i would like to purchace a wedge type tool post holder after seeing the price of a new aloris starter set i see that prodution tool inc,carries a economy set called world class,msc carries a value brand for about the same price. my question is what make is better. they are both about 400.00 less than the aloris set. im new a this and i dont want to make another one of i told you so purchases. by the way looking at bxa set. thanks.

If you are close enough to a Production store, look them over. "World class" means imported from somewhere. Production used to call their no name imports "National" brand. The cheap ones will be made in China or India, and I would expect anyone's Chinese stuff to be about equal in quality to anyone else's. But looking before you buy can save return shipping charges. You might find some Chinese stuff on eBay for less money if you want to take a chance.

Larry

I don't know the difference if any between the Production Tool and MSC tool post holders and my guess is that they probably come from the same source and are equivalent in quality.

I'm at the point where I just "Say No to China". I know it's not very practical and is actually downright impossible these days, but in my tiny universe I'm drawing a line in the sand.

There are other options, finding and buying used for example, or just biting the bullet and paying for the Aloris new.

Or you can roll your own if you want to know what quality you will get. Mine is rock solid and works perfectly:

QConSBLathe.jpg

Disassembled.jpg

EPA, that is a nice setup. Job well done.

berger, if you still want to buy a quick change tool post set the quality of a PhaseII is very good and the price is right from Enco or MSC.

There is one thing that is very important with any quick change setup, factory or homemade, and that is to keep the mounting areas clean of chips, dirt and coolant buildup. The smallest trash will destroy repeatability.

Received wisdom is that no-name and merchant brands tend to have greater tolerance spread so there is more chance of getting a holder which doesn't quite hang on tight enough. Usually not discovered until you try a heavy cut or run into an incurable chatter problem. Most likely to bite when you go back for more holders. In my neck of the woods opinion as to enough holders varied from 12 to 16! At least we are past the bad old days when you had to buy the whole lot in one go with serious likelihood of one being out of spec and a battle royal to get it changed.

Well worth faking up something so you can set tools off the lathe. With a big job in situ it can be almost impossible to find room to set-up on the machine if you forget to get them all ready first or have to take a break to re-sharpen.

I don't know if the make instead of buy option is viable for you but if you normally use carbide or Armstrong style bit holders interchangeable two slot blocks can be almost as quick as a true quick change and of adequate interchange accuracy if you work in measure up for final cut style.
Theory with a good quick change is that the tools go back in so accurately that you can stay within tolerance simply working off the dials. Blocks come close if you have some sort of locating device such as a pin in holes(s). For real change speed use an interrupted thread, breech block style, on the hold down nut. Mill from solid or build up from stock sizes are both valid ways to make a block.

Clive

Back