What's new
What's new

Old Punch Press Parts

Don1949

Plastic
I have an old punch press
Press-Rite #2 - 18 Ton
Anyone know who has or makes replacement parts for these old machines?

HVR parts in St. Paul, MN if they are still in business. Press-Rite went out of business in the late 70s.

If it doesn't have an air clutch, just dump it. Not worth the liability.
JR

Its not true that "nobody" sells parts- there are several companies. But they tend towards bigger, later model, most common machines.
For instance, BCN sells parts for Bliss, Clearing, Niagara, USI, Toledo, Consolidated Press and Wilkins and Mitchell.
Not cheap, but they certainly sell them.
BCN - BLISS CLEARING NIAGARA Press Repair and Spare Parts

I would call them up, and see if they know who might have parts for yours.

Campbell also does repairs and may sell parts-
Stamping Press Repair | Stamping Press Rebuilding | Campbell Press Repair
again- they specialize in presses that make money for industry- really big machines, usually. Its usually not worth making new parts, at current costs, for a 30 ton press- but a 1000 ton press, that would cost millions to replace, is viable.

If your press is the size that you can find a used one for three grand, my guess is that new parts will be so expensive, in relation to the cost of the press, that nobody will make em- with overhead what it is, with foundry costs what they are, there is no money in stocking hundred dollar parts for ten years on the hope that you will make ten bucks profit someday.

http://www.ips-press.com/Press-Parts-Products.asp

I would recommend CALLING, not emailing, all three of these places. If you are persistent, on the phone, you can wheedle info out of people. You ask the secretary to talk to the actual parts guys, to the repair guys, to the salesmen who have been there the longest, to the manager, and dont take no for an answer. I have found all kinds of companies that dont advertise, and dont have websites, by nagging salesmen and parts guys. They know each other, usually.
Emails just get deleted.
They look at it, say, "we dont sell that", and delete.
Nothing beats talking to oldtimers in person.

Back