What's new
What's new

Atlas Copco Air chisel ,how is it supposed to work?

sable

Titanium
As the title says ,I have just got this air chisel and I can't get any life out of it. It has a trigger on the side and also a button ,first of all what should I be doing to make it go?

Oh and it was made in 1983.

Hook it up to a compressor with a air line and inline oiler, set pressure on your regulator to about 90PSI and away you go. :-)

Assuming it has chissel, chisel spring retainer fitted. Won't do anything with out that fitted to return the piston at end of stroke.

Based on age if not damaged there’s a fair chance the pistons gummed up with oil inside, common on a lot of older air line tools that have sat unused to find them full of old gummy oil and with most air tools it takes suprisingly little to really gum em up too!

If all else fails, you can always use it this way at a smaller scale

How to use a Demolition Hammer Properly (subtitles) - YouTube

They won't do anything without a bit in them... just hiss. I have had good luck filling them with ATF for a few day and then reoiling with air tool oil.

Sometimes ramming the chisel against a hard object can jar a stuck piston loose. If the piston is stuck in the down position, inserting a rod through the chuck and tapping the piston can loosen it. If that does not work, See post #3.

Ah I'm thinking the spring you mentioned may not be set right ,the piston comes out but doesn't go back.

Thanks.:)

Back