What's new
What's new

Need help with ID for Lathe spindle nose

grampsbutler

Plastic
I have a Brazilian made Joinville TM-175 lathe with a worn out 3 jaw chuck. I am ready to replace the chuck but to do this I need to identify the spindle nose.

From first glance I thought that it was an L0 long taper, however after measuring it, it appears to be even smaller than an L00.

Here are the dimensions and a few pictures:

Widest diameter of the taper on the back plate is 2-1/4"
Diameter of the threaded portion of the back plate is 2.975 inches (outside of the threads).
The chuck diameter is 8"

chuck%20taper.jpg

Joinville.jpg

backplate%20front.jpg

backplate%20rear.jpg

Any ideas what taper this is? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Graham
Intrepid Handcycles

Knowing the Brazilians (I'm married to one), my guess is that was built to a DIN standard. Hopefully, one of the Europeans will see this.

BTW, your picture's too big.
JR

I have a faint recollection of reading that Rivett once used a spindle taper like the L00, but smaller. Of course, that does not help you find a new chuck or adapter, since the Rivett stuff is very rare and completely obsolete.

I looked it up and found this, about halfway down the page:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/rivett/page8.html

If you are lucky, it will be a European standard nose on the Brazillian lathe.

Larry

Got me. If I was going to make a call I;d call it an "L-000". It would be nice if your masurements were more refined. What is the thread pitch? 6 TPI or 4mm. The L series long taper is definitely Imperial based on nominal sizes. Metric specs for the same spindle nose converft back to Imperial very nicely.

The spindle nose seems small for the size of the lathe. Looks like a 12" maybe larger swing. An L-00 would have been perfect.

I can't find anything recent on Usina Metalúrgica Joinville. SWMBO will look tomorrow (my Portuguese isn't that great).

They were a bigger copier than inovator (the company got started copying South Bend 9"). I can't see them designing there own spindle nose. I have the old address from their factory and from what I can tell, it's a printing company now.

Could the thread OD be 76mm and the pitch be 3mm?

You might give Steve @ Small Tools a call.
Small Tools New and Used Tooling Of All Kinds
JR

The chances of finding tooling to fit your lathe spindle lies between very slim to astronomically poor. I have 40+ years of scrounging in machine tool graveyards and I've never seen that particular spindle nose and yes I would have remembered.

Determining specs and such might be interesting but it won't get you close to replacement/additional chucks, collet accessories, etc. First thing you better make plug and ring gages for the taper and collar thread. With them you can make up precision fitted backplates for new plain back chucks.Make up 6 just in case. Use the raw castings you can find in the industrial supply catalogs in the section where they offer backplates. something like this but suited/sized for your application:

Enco - Guaranteed Lowest Prices on Machinery, Tools and Shop Supplies

OK, after some research;
Looks like the company closed in 2004. There are a lot of these lathes in Brazil. All small machines. The company made a SB-9 copy, then the TM series followed by the J series. From an accesories pages I found, they offered either a Rohm or a Diplomat chuck. Both the TM and J series look like they used the L type nose.

I'm still betting that the chuck nose follows some sort of European standard.

I'd do just like Forrest said and use the old back plate if its any good. If you're really serious about a new chuck, I have a good friend and a brother-in-law that both live in Joinville (both are engineers).
JR

Back