What's new
What's new

AXA, BXA, CXA toolposts - Forgive me for being stupid.

DanMc77

Aluminum
I'm trying to figure out exactly what the AXA, BXA and CXA designates when speaking of QC tool posts. I've been doing some digging but have yet to find a reference that defines in clear terms what the distinctions are. AXA looks like its for smaller lathes, CXA for larger, but is there a clear breakdown of what goes with what as far as swing?

...I've been doing some digging but have yet to find a reference that defines in clear terms what the distinctions are. AXA looks like its for smaller lathes, CXA for larger, but is there a clear breakdown of what goes with what as far as swing?
Well, you didn't dig very deep, it's all on Aloris's website.

AXA 9-12" swing
BXA 10-15" swing
CXA 13-18" swing

Quick Change Tool Post (Pg.2-3)

It's not simple and depends upon the lathe. I don't remember the details, but I found that none of the Aloris style tool holders fit well on my old Stark #4 because the top of top slide was too close to the lathe centerline for the size tool bits I wanted to use. I ended going with an American made system that uses a large round centerpost and an indexing ring along the bottom.

I had been curious about that, too, the dimensional differences between the 0XA, AXA, BXA, MXA, etc tool posts and matching tool holders. The swing suggestions for each are relatively easy to find but I had found little on any definitive standard for manufacturing. I've dug deep but not found the treasure yet. However, there are a lot of knowledgeable posts on this forum (e.g. http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/how-qc-tool-post-fitting-sized-measured-142049/ ) about the subject and there are smatterings here and there in internet space about pieces (e.g. :whistle:-1x1, 1 Pcs of AXA Turing and Facing Holder, Quick Change Tool Holder - Accusize Industrial Tools )

Cheers,
Rich

Look at the "A" dimension of the Aloris catalogue.
It is the center height to the top of the compound.
Swing of the lathe is largely irrelevant. Not sure
why most sales catalogues sell them exclusively by
the swing.?.?.?

--Doozer

Back