What's new
What's new

Backup battery for 2012 Sharp SV-2414

seattlewa98

Cast Iron
Even I was told I will get warning message when backup battery is low but I have habit to to replace backup battery on my 2005 Sharp SV-2412 every 3-4 years
Now I want to do the same with my 2012 SV-2414 but I can't locate where it is.
I called Sharp and I as told to contact Fanuc.
Anyone here have 2012 model and can tell me where the battery is ?

Why don't you post the generation of controller? Many times the battery placement is specific to the control manufacturer and not the machine builder.

It is Series Oi mate MD
I'm not sure about the "Mate" version as that was Fanuc's bottom of the line control, but if it was an OiMD the battery is in a pretty obvious place near the top of the electronics plate that houses the monitor. Typically an AA size (sometimes shorter than AA however) lithium 3 volt with wires going to a special click on fitting. You can buy the battery from places like Newmark or DigiKey with solder tabs and solder on the original Fanuc wires to save money. (obviously done while the machine is on but I'm thinking you have at least 15 minutes or more even if machine is off)

As an aside, sometime about 2014 or 2015, in addition to Fanuc, Sharp offered a Siemens control for that little VMC that used NO backup battery...all flash memory....no battery needed.

So now I'm curious....on the "Mate" Fanuc (not to be confused with the Robodrill Mate) was the battery where I said it would probably be.... or somewhere else ?

My 2005 sharp SV-2412 with FANUC Series Oi Mate-MB uses type of battery you were talking about. I replaced the battery couple times for last 12 years

My other 2012 SV-2414 with FANUC Series Oi Mate-MD, I have hard time to locate the battery

I will try one more time and if still no luck I will call Fanuc again

Thanks

This is 2005 FANUC Series 0i Mate-MB
Back up battery is located in the back cabinet

Attachments

• IMG_3078.jpg
    IMG_3078.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_3076.jpg
    IMG_3076.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 159
This is 2012 FANUC Series 0i Mate-MD
No sign of back up battery in the back cabinet
Or behind LCD screen

Attachments

• IMG_3079.jpg
    IMG_3079.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_3077.jpg
    IMG_3077.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 620
Humm, maybe that's because it looks like someone removed it... pretty sure its supposed to be hanging on those 2 slots on the yellow box and plugs on the right side of it, near where it says CX5X on mine(little brown thing in your picture I think). That's where it is my 2010 First MVC-300 with Oi-mate(similar to the Sharp 2412's). Not sure where/how that could go missing and it not tell you or where else they could have stuff it... wtf? I think the 2414's are not made by First are they? but still that servo thing sure looks very much the same as what's in mine, and a lot of the other components around it. Could the slightly newer machine somehow not need the battery? I doubt it being fanuc eh...

That's your axis battery, I change mine every year when it starts telling me to. They no longer sell the Lithium 6V(2x3V C-cells) that went in there with the metal cover that hooks on those 2 slots. Now its a smaller pack of 4 smaller batteries, and they didn't fit in the old, nor the new cover I ordered from fanuc to go with the new replacement batteries. So for now I plug it in and stuff the battery pack in between other cables and a couple piece of electrical tape to keep it there, I'll make a proper cover/holder eventually...

Your parameter battery is on your last picture, in that little slot on the bottom left corner. I changed that with the power on I think(recommended on here?) fanuc manual said to power it on and then you have a few seconds or minutes to change it when you turn it back off, they're supposed to last 6-7yrs apparently.

I don't believe anyone removed the battery as we bought it brand new.
Beside both machines have brown plug at where it mark CX5X.

The 0i Mate-MB has 2 yellow boxes: one is power supply box and the other one has back up battery

The 0i Mate-MD has only one yellow box which is power supply box

Attachments

• IMG_3087.jpg
    IMG_3087.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_3086.jpg
    IMG_3086.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 209
I'm not too familiar with how many flavors and places they can hide things in there(or why they'd keep changing it).
Could the smaller yellow box/axis drive on your 2005 be for a 4th axis? and why does it have a PCMCIA card stuck in it? surely that's some "option" to do "something" ?

On mine the axis battery most definitely goes on the big yellow drive that runs all 3 axis and the spindle.
Scroll down to Mitty's post, #12, that's exactly where mine is. http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/cnc-machining/arghhh-analysis-paralysis-vmc-159839/

Btw, this is all basic maintenance stuff to go through with the tech and take notes during any new machine install. Although Sharp should still damn well be able to help either way now.

This is 2012 FANUC Series 0i Mate-MD
No sign of back up battery in the back cabinet
Or behind LCD screen
That is interesting as the monitor electronics (where the parameter battery should be) look quite different from a similar year non "Mate" Fanuc. Seems like if you bought the machine new you should have the Fanuc manuals, which would tell where the battery is. Amazing that Sharp is so slack as to not know this most basic information as they have sold probably thousands of these VMC's with the same control. Apparently Sharp is actually rather dull.

As an aside there is the remote possibility there is no battery. The Siemens control on my 2011 Romi C420 had no battery.....but rather relied on a "super capacitor" for backup. The problem with that is the machine would not hold parameters more than about a month if off the grid, whereas a lithium battery can hold parameters for a decade off line.

The parameter battery is definitely right there behind the screen/control, right bottom corner. Its got a molded clip/case built around it so the whole thing has to be changed. Like this here. https://www.batterystore.com/programmable-logic-control-batteries/fanuc/fanuc-a98l-0031-0026/

The axis thing is kinda weird to me if it doesn't have a battery anywhere. Though I always kinda wondered why it would need it anyhow since it gets homed every time it gets turned on anyway. That batteries goes "near" dead and alarms on mine every 12-16months or so, so if you went 3-4yrs and not a beep, maybe its really just bypassed and not there at all. Worth a check with fanuc I guess, or the manufacturer of the machine if sharp won't help at all.

Them's are definitely not " power supply boxes " they're you're spindle and axis drives all built into 1 unit, but I guess it does supply power to the servo motors...
Take a closer look at the barcode label, should tell spindle amps and how many axis and Amps, L/M/N
I'd bet that little one you've been changing that 1 little battery on is a 4th, pretty sure those slim ones are single axis drives aren't they?

Back