What's new
What's new

Baldoor 505 Wheels?

Tim Mahony

Plastic
I would appreciate a bit of advise on purchasing grinding wheels to fit my new to me Baldor 505.

My usage will be for HSS lathe tooling. Some of the diamond offerings are sticker $ shock. Happy to step up if the up side is that great, or possibly a diamond and an abrasive or 2 abrasive wheels? What grits? Any recommended outlets for purchase.

I am a hobbyist with a 9" SB Junior and this 505 was a Craig list near gift. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. tim

Last edited:
Do not use a diamond wheel on a Baldor 505 to grind HSS. It wrecks the wheel. Use white or grey aluminum oxide wheels for HSS tools. If you want really expensive wheels for HSS (I know you don't), then you want CBN (cubic boron nitride) wheels.

You want a coarse and a fine wheel, but I will suggest grit numbers.

Larry

You can get cheaper CBN wheel from Shars. They may or may not have runout. They need to be mounted near perfect to true running to be of much use, because they are practically undressable, and there isn't a lot of abrasive depth to start with.

Nonetheless, I would only finish grind with a CBN, so as to preserve the flatness and the corners of the wheel. I'd use a coarse grit aluminum oxide wheel for roughing. I don't even use anything special for that, but I do dress it often so that it stays sharp and cuts quickly. Grinding is messy, and dressing is even more messy. Good to have a vacuum hookup to suck up the mess as it's being made.

Mine is only used for HSS and I got rid of the expensive plate mount wheels and converted it to use standard aluminum oxide grinding wheels. Works great and the wheels are only around $10 each.

Mine is only used for HSS and I got rid of the expensive plate mount wheels and converted it to use standard aluminum oxide grinding wheels. Works great and the wheels are only around $10 each.

Works great until a wheel breaks from pushing against the side. Think of the plate as life insurance with a small premium.

And watch out for plate-mounted wheels where the cement has failed and/or the plate has warped. Seen it.

Larry

You want a "type 50 tool and cutter grinding wheel" in AlOx as mentioned unless you have big bux for CBN.

I have a 46 grit "grey" wheel for roughing, a 60 grit "white" wheel for finishing, I then final hone the edge with a small flat india stone. Look at the edge with a 10X loupe and hone until the ridges are gone.

Nothing cuts better than super sharp HSS for chatter less work on less than massive hobby machines.

Did you get the diamond dresser with it? A must have IMHO, or you could make one.

Tool & Cutter Grinding Wheels - MSCDirect.com

Production Tool Supply

Thank you guys for all the reply's! I really appreciate it. Now I have enough understanding to make a purchase. Tool face grinder....smile, hadn't thought of that. Wasn't included with the 505.

Good points, Larry.

I should have mentioned that I made plates that support the entire back side of the grinding wheel from side load. Why when a grinding wheel is mounted to a plate that costs 10 cents it raises the price of the wheel by $100 makes no sense?

Bruce

Back