What's new
What's new

Ball End Mill Blanks?

jasonixo

Aluminum
I am looking for a 1/4" shank, 1/8" ball end mill without flutes. Something with a 1" long taper from the shank diameter to the end of the 1/8" ball. HSS or carbide- it doesn't matter.

This is a CNC application but not for machining. Is there a source for such a thing without asking for a custom grind?

Thanks-

Jason

yes you take a drill blank and cut a single flute cutter with a coffee grinder....I forget the real name of the grinder off hand maybe someone can chime in....its a holder you can use to grind single flutes

also you could turn the shape on a lathe or file and then grind the drill blank in half at the end at it will be a single flute cutter

also a 1/4 drill blank with an 1/8 radius leaves no room for any taper and not sure what you mean by taper either....you would need like a 3/8 drill blank tapered down to an 1/8 radius which would be 1/4 diameter....is this what you mean?

and once you get a shape on drill blank you grind it flat for the length of cut you need...if its a 1/4 drill blank then you grind it to .124/.1245 flat...you can do .125 but it rubs a tad but is good for most plastics and wood and aluminum....hard material I make sure its .1248

I almost forgot...you can make it .125 and then by hand you grind clearance all along the cutting edge without damaging your shape and then relieve the ball part to in the back and point...that will cut real good

like this but with a shape

BLANK_HR_CONICAL.jpg

I'm actually looking for a profiled blank with no cutting edges at all- just a 1/4" round piece of stock that tapers down to a 1/8" hemisphere tip over an inch or so.

Something like this, but a solid, unfluted profile.

series-24.jpg

Easy enough to cut on a lathe. perhaps a 15-20 minuet job with notching a 1/8 radius tool bit.
Could make it of drill rod and harden it with a torch, or any tool steel.

With having a grinder could be made from a 1/4 drill or the like, but needing a 1" wide wheel...

Sure miss the good old days when some tools came from the shop, not the catalog.

Back