What's new
What's new

Ball Sizing advice needed

stanger

Plastic
I have some work pieces that have a shaft turning on a C932 bronze bushing about 3/4 ID and length. I found an off-the-shelf bushing that is the correct size, and unlike previous pieces, actually has a good press fit and should stay in place during operation.

The bushing is designed for a .750" shaft, but after pressing into place, the shaft will not go into the bushing and the installed ID is .745"-.746". The shafts generally measure out at about .749", so I would like to get the ID of the bushing to .750"-.751" diameter.

The quickest and easiest way to do this, and give me a good smooth, round surface, would be to press a steel ball through it to size.

My question is - how much do you resize per pass at this diameter? I know the material expands back a certain amount, but I doubt you should resize in one shot with a .751"+ ball, or would you? Do you enlarge a material this size in .001" increments? More? Less?

Having never actually done this, I would like some advice on the matter.

Generally; that "ball sizing" trick is only used on SAE 841 (Oilite) bearings which are porous sintered bronze
which will compress to the desired size and does not ream well.

C932 is cast bronze and should be REAMED to final size.

Back