What's new
What's new

BandFiler

BruceC

Aluminum
Is anyone familiar with Bandfilers? They are like a bandsaw but instead of a blade there is a series of short files attached to a band and this band runs around the wheels as a bandsaw blade would.
They don't seem to make them anymore. Is that because they didn't work too well or they have been replaced by a better tool?

There seem to be dedicated bandfilers and bandsaws which can take either a bandsaw blade or a bandfiler.

Here is a pic of a dedicated bandfiler.

Redirect Notice

place I used to work we had one. No body ever used it, but just looking at it was scarier than shit. Like some medieval torture device. I can't picture it being too safe, and it had to have been noisier that hell.

The original purpose was replaced. They where used to file relief (secondary) into stamping dies. This is now done on a vmc or wire edm.

Same with knocking corners off parts. Done on the machining center when making the part.

I have a Grob bandfile in the home shop. It's a cool thing now and again. Biggest use I have had for it is contouring parts roughed out on the bandsaw. It's actually not at all dangerous or noisy, certainly nowhere near as much so as a bandsaw. File bands are kind of expensive, but as long as you run them at the proper surface speed for the material, they last a long while. I don't know that I would go out and spend a lot of money on one, but I bought a lathe from a guy and he said I could have the bandfile and a small horizontal saw if I got them out of his way... twist my arm.

Thank you for the information.

I got a hold of the parts needed to try putting a bandfile on my doall band saw. Not sure what I will use it for but it should be interesting to see how/if it works.

Thank you.

They were superseded by the much more efficient "File blaster" which used a hopper filled with tiny files that were blasted at the object to be filed with compressed air through a nozzle.

The original purpose was replaced. They where used to file relief (secondary) into stamping dies. This is now done on a vmc or wire edm.

Same with knocking corners off parts. Done on the machining center when making the part.

I believe thats right on as far s why ya don't see'em for sale new or even used. I'd say in a private shop where you have a multitude of older machines and didn't have a wire EDM or a CNC machine, they'd still come in handy. I've got one. It's a near new DoAll factory made band filer. It works great for what it does. It ain't any noisier than a bandsaw and it certainly isn't the least intimidating to use. Bought it surplus from a big gov't shop. It comes in handy for me- I have it near my mill- it makes a right nice table to put parts on, or even a fan in the summer

Seems like something that they had before proper abrasive belts came about.

Get yourself a proper metalworking belt sander, 6-7K sfm, 2hp per inch of width. it'll eat metal real nice, and quick too.

Band file doesn't get the work hot, doesn't tend to round the corners, and removes material almost as fast, with a good sharp coarse file on it. Much quieter and no abrasive dust slinging all over the place. If you have never used one, they are a very interesting machine.

Back