What's new
What's new

Used machinery dealers WI?

toadjammer

Hot Rolled
I have some time coming up to look around for some machinery.

Please make some suggestions as to known machinery dealers in Wisconsin.

I would prefer dealers that allow visitors to look around, and have tooling and accesories also for sale.

I am mostly looking for manual machinery or CNC. Vintage or '90's at the newest. Lathe sizes upto 18" swing and VMC/manuals in the 30X20X20 range or smaller.

Thanks
Toad

http://wismet.com/

They are the only one that I know of from Wisconsin.

They must be of decent size as they seem to be "out there" trying to buy and sell equipment.

That's all I know....

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

There's a place in Waupaca WI called RH Liquidation. The address is N2598 HY 22 Waupaca WI 54981. The phone number is (715) 258-8886. Talk to the owner Ryan Hofferber or his right hand man Peter.

They have everything from soup to nuts. There are lots of mills (both vertical and horizontal), lathes, surface grinders, drill presses and just about any other type of equipment found in a machine shop. They buy out defunct shops and machines and tools from shops switching to CNC equpiment. They do have some CNC stuff but most of their equipment is manual primarily 1970s to 1990s vintage. There is some older stuff some as old as the 1940s.

They also have tons of tooling for every type of machine tool imaginable. They have about 16,000 sq ft dedicated to machine tools, parts, and tooling. The prices are more than reasonable. I've bought lots of lathe and mill tooling and a repair parts for my mills. If you're interested in a particular machine they'll be more than happy to power it up for you.

There's a place in Waupaca WI called RH Liquidation.

I've gotten a few things from him, but lately he's started to learn how much to charge for his stuff, and then goes a little higher. Still once in awhile he has just what you're looking for.

If you go there, just walk right past all the "fluff" stuff in front in get in the back room.

Thanks for all the help.

Really want to just go around and kick some tires. Llooking for shops that may be a little small and have most of the equipment on hand.
And it helps if the prices are already on the machines. I reallly don't like to go somewhere and feel like they are feeling me out to see how much I have to spend. Been through that many times before.

Northern IL is also a good area for me to go venturing so if someone has some favorite spots let me know.

Thanks
Toad

I bought my old Series I CNC Bridgeport from these guys. Also bought some tooling
from them. They are located in Franksville. A few miles South and West of Milwaukee.

Jim

Lost Creek Machine

Check out Lost Creek Machine.

They are about an hour southwest of Chicago. They have good stock on manual machines and tooling. Well worth the trip, it is like a machinists supermarket if there ever is one.

They have everything, I bought a small cylindrical grinder from them and returned with way more stuff than I planed on buying. I picked up a tool makers microscope, a few drill chucks, collets, angle dresser and a ton of other high quality items. They just sent me an inventory list, I am tempted to take a ride soon. I spent a couple of hours looking around.

Awesome guys to deal with clean shop with free coffee too!
Bring a trailer

Matt

e.

Northern IL is also a good area for me to go venturing so if someone has some favorite spots let me know.

Thanks
Toad

I can tell who not to do business with in Northern IL.

Had a bad experience with a dealer down there. Went down to buy a 3 axis prototrak bed mill, cash in pocket, truck and trailer..... told in perfect working condition. Not at all. Very glad I asked to see it powered up before loading it... Bad Y axis motor, spindle that just screamed with a bad bearing. Then the talking out of both sides of their mouths started. Felt more like a snakey used car lot than a machine tool dealer.

Spill the beans, eTekTool :) Who what it?
Lost Creek is run by some really nice guys. They do have a plethora of tooling to look though...about 2-3 long, good length aisles of it stacked up. The machines they have really are pretty well updated on the website. Still, I'm not sure that you're looking to drive 2hrs into IL for that. I figure there are probably better options in WI?

I was just down to Lost Creek on saturday with a friend of mine. After going there he said he has a little time off and we should hit some more shops. I really like the way that Lost Creek lets you look around without any pressure. I haven't bought anything large to know if machines are represented accuratly.

BTW I am in south central WI so pretty much anywhere within 3 hours is a reasonable distance.. so Green Bay to Wausau is about as far north.

I can tell who not to do business with in Northern IL.

Had a bad experience with a dealer down there.

Had a learning experience like that, only I didn't luck out. Bought a used cmm, thing was in great condition no chips, clean, good price. When I went to look at it the computer for it was at the guys house so "that it wouldn't get broken in the warehouse", but it all worked great comp booted up blah blah. When I got it, they forgot to send the comp, when the comp showed up it didn't have any software on it or the right card for the cmm.

For awhile I had a nice big surface plate that happened to have a gantry on it. Then slowly got a comp, card software and got it working like it was supposed to, for still a pretty good price, just not as cheap as I had hoped.

Can't recall the dealer's name right now, but they were in Rockford I know. Learned from now on, no matter how nice the guy is and honest he sounds (rare among dealers) will not buy another machine without personally seeing it started up and run before my eyes.

Regarding Lost Creek Machinery - I'm not very impressed with them. I asked them for, among other things, a 30 taper shell mill holder in good condition. They said they had one in good condition - what they sent was an unhardened , non-ground, shop-made holder in at best "ok" condition. And it was $45. After I brought that up, they sent a fairly terse reply, but were willing to refund my money if I sent it back - in that respect they seem ok.

I don't like paying shipping both ways for a turd however, which anyone, even if unfamiliar with machining, could see was not a tool holder in good condition. Maybe it was my fault for trusting them without seeing a picture, but in most other businesses you don't always have to keep your guard up about such things.

to the OP, i was just in at a place and they brought me back to their warehouse where they have an old bridgeport knee mill they are looking to get rid of. no idea what they are asking if interested let me know and i can get some more info. forget what the travels on those old mills are prob along the line of 16x12x10 or around there. and yes this is in WI

Back