What's new
What's new

3 phase question

bhigdog

Stainless
First off I know just enough about 3 phase to be dangerous. I did build a cap start RPC with help from here using a 5HP idler. I've been runing my 3HP LeBlond with no problems. The idler is fused with a 30A breaker and I run the 3 phase through fuses and a starter with the proper sized heaters on the LeBlond. I recently bought a 3 phase B&S 2L grinder. To power it I tapped into the 3 phase line between the idler and the lathe. The grinder runs fine but I just noticed in the factory original enclosure on the machine the cut out switch has copper jumpers instead of fuses ( the schematic says fuses are optional ) and the starter has only 2 heaters. According to the schematic T-2 goes through a set of contacts but then goes directly to the motor. No heater/breaker involved.
My questions would be, is the 30A breaker in my panel box protection for a gross short in the 3 phase circuit. Since there are only 2 heaters does it matter which two lines of the 3 phase are run through the heaters, keeping in mind spindle direction.
I hope this makes sense.............Bob

We have an entirely separate, focused sub-forum for questions like that. I respectfully suggest you move the request to that one to assure a faster reply by qualified people there.

Back