What's new
What's new

Bandsaw blade width

Bill D

Diamond
For a horizontal bandsaw should I just use the widest blade the machine will run? For a vertical saw the narrow blades allows tighter turns but for a horizontal seems like the wider blade would be stiffer and less likely to break or flex. Of course a wide blade takes more force to twist through the guides so there is that against wider blades then needed..
Bill d

Normally theres no rear blade support adjustment on most horizontals, ie run narrower, you will run the teeth through the guides! Hence its normally just what ever they take thats it when it comes to horizontals. Then again, there all about cutting straight not curves!

For a horizontal bandsaw should I just use the widest blade the machine will run? For a vertical saw the narrow blades allows tighter turns but for a horizontal seems like the wider blade would be stiffer and less likely to break or flex. Of course a wide blade takes more force to twist through the guides so there is that against wider blades then needed..
Bill d

Use the blade that the saw was designed for.

I would use the designed for blade but.. it is a Startrite H175. They are out of business and it is horizontal/vertical plus the guides are missing the rear block so it is hard to tell what blade size it is designed for. I know it is 98" long but I see blades claiming to fit from 1/2 through one inch wide.
Bill D.

I would use the designed for blade but.. it is a Startrite H175. They are out of business and it is horizontal/vertical plus the guides are missing the rear block so it is hard to tell what blade size it is designed for. I know it is 98" long but I see blades claiming to fit from 1/2 through one inch wide.
Bill D.
i have often replaced missing blade guides even ones behind blade before. even plain 1018 steel with blade rubbing on it is better than nothing,
bandsaw blade thickness depends on wheel diameter of bandsaw. .025" width blades will fatigue and break going over 6" or smaller dia bandsaw wheels often before blade is dull. like 50/50 blade break first or get dull first. .020 thick bandsaw blades are flimsy often blade guides more than 4" apart and you can see blade bends easy if pushing hard.
so limits are wheel diameter and
distance between blade guides or supports and
how hard you push before blade bending under load is too much
blade width like 1/4 or 1/2 or 1" depends in similar things but also cutting radius or how tight a radius you want to cut

Bill D.

Google time: 0.61 seconds

5th result on page

http://www.sterlingmachinery.com/db-files/startrite horizontal band cut off machines brochure.pdf

3/4" blade as per manufacturer's specifications

Bill D.

I have a Startrite H175 saw with the recommendation plaque for the blade still intact. The blade length is 98" the width is 3/4" the thickness is .035".

I purchase blades from Ellis Manufacturing Company in Verona WI.

Ellis Band Saws, Saw Blades, Drill Press and Beltgrinder

They will custom make blades in any length, width, and TPI designation you choose.

Ellis Mfg, Inc.

The minimum order is 2 blades. The last time I purchased some they were about $25.00 each. Most often I buy 10 - 14 tpi variable pitch bimetal blades. I do not use the saws coolant feature. A blade lasts a minimum of year at 5 hours a week use when dry cutting. When cutting primarily mild steels and aluminum I can generally get 2 years out of a blade.

I don't believe Startrite is out of business.

Startrite Bandsaws for wood cutting

However I think they now specialize in wood cutting saws only. The H175 was built in England for import into the US. They were sold and are still supported by Clausing Industrial.

Clausing Industrial | Machine Tools | CNC | Manufacturers | Distribution

Over the years I have ordered parts and manuals for my H175 from Clausing.

I can take a picture of the plaque and send it to you if you are interested. I have a couple pictures of the machine, but there is so much glare from the plaque it's hard to read.

Thanks for the link. I had found something similar that claimed it was the manual and it included a virus. I ended up having to clear my computer and lost a good bit from my hard drive.
Bil lD.

Back