What's new
What's new

Bandsaw VFD slowdown time.

Bill D

Diamond
I am considering increasing the horsepower on my bandsaw with a larger motor that I already have which is three phase. I will power this with a vfd.
Any suggestions for acceleration and deceleration times? I was thinking 3-5 seconds. I bet a band file should take longer either way up or down.
Bill D

ALLWAYS ,ALLWAYS NOT ENOUGH INFORMATION. Is it a large 20 inch wheel cutting aluminum at hispeed,or is it a small Doall cutting toolsteel at 75-100 feet per minute? For safety sake ,all machines should stop as fast as possible. I would try 2 seconds and see if your vfd will do that without tripping the overload. Edwin Dirnbeck

I don't yet have a VFD connected to a band saw, but my lathe and BP mill has been set at 1/2 second for the last 15 years. They're happy and I'm happy.

^ Most VFD's have multiple start and stop options and inputs, nothing wrong with regular stop being a coast, the big red button, sure you want to apply all the anchors you can as fast as you can!

I just put a 1- 1/2 hp and VFD on my inheirited Delta 14" vertical bandsaw and set for fastest start and fastest stop per the instructions with the VFD and it is superb.

The 1/2 second stop sounds like too fast for a big lathe. Seems like it could brake some gear teeth. This would be for a 20" bandsaw. Both at high rpm for wood and much slower for metal cutting
I was worried that a sudden stop might break the blade or cause undue stress on the machine. I suppose it could even cause nuts holding the wheels on to come undone over time. I know Chrysler used to worry about that with wheel lug nuts. Of course I may be worried about nothing here. I know on my drill press at lower rpms that 3 seconds seems like a long time.
As they say it is not the speed that kills you it is that fast stop at the end.
Bil lD.

Back