What's new
What's new

Anybody know what these are?

tomjelly

Stainless
008.jpg

I've somehow ended up with 2 of these, does anyone know what they are?

thanks
tom

They look exactly like the clamps used on a lawn mower "reel" grinder.The peg on each clamp engage into a hole on the reel side plates.The clamps are slid along the cross bar positioning the reel for sharpening.What? you thought the reel is removed for sharpening? Not on the small "push" reel mowers...only the longer heavier commercial reels.

I've spent many hours sharpening reel mowers.Back and forth..back and forth.Hot dirty and spark laden work.

Hmm.On second look these look identical.On a reel grinder they would mirror each other...The question remains...

to me, they look like pipe hanging clamps- there are tons of clamps like that electricians and plumbers use all the time to hang things from overhead pipes- sprinkler pipes, drain pipes, stuff like that. I see this kind of clamp all the time up above the ceiling in commercial buildings.

They look like they could have been part of a fixture to align pipe and tubing for welding. If so, the smaller pins probably connected to some kind of adjuster to tweak the alignment.

Whatever they once were they could now be used for that.

The LH pin with the groove, mounts to the swivel. The roll pin is the locator. They might not be Uni-Punch, Whistler and Strippit had very similar grinders. Those were the first gen of punch grinders. All of them looked like a one ended, Baldor tool grinder. I don't remember who was the first to go with the vertical grinder. We got a Mate, which had a 3 jaw on one side and a mag chuck on the other.
JR

"Grinder wheel dressers"????
Dunno if it's what they are intended for, but I've seen at least one photo of those used for, yes, tool post grinder wheel dressing. The V clamps onto a shaft held between centers (or in the chuck) and the diamond dresser is held as shown in that eBay photo. The carriage is traversed, truing/dressing the TPG wheel surface parallel to the carriage travel

Makes sense. I got one in an auction in chicago many years ago, and another at an auction in South Carolina a few years after that. Both were in boxes of miscellaneous "stuff"...

Back