bhofmann is offline Plastic

Default Bearing-Housing fit Table saw arbor

First let me share that I'm a newbie when it comes to much of this.

Trying to dial in my mid 70's era Craftsman contractor style table saw, and noticed what seemed to be some radial play in the arbor, so I thought I'd change the arbor bearings. Everything came apart fine, and it took very little persuasion to remove the old bearings. Old bearings measured 1.378" OD with a micrometer, and housings measured 1.378" and 1.3785" with snap gauge and micrometer. New bearings measure 1.377" still in plastic wrap, and 2 layers of plastic wrap measured 0.003", so I assume the bearings will be 1.374" after I remove the wrap. I am concerned with the difference in the new versus old bearings. Are these new bearings out of whack dimensionally and I need to return them to the supplier, or is this to be expected? Is there a loctite product or something else that can be used to take up the extra space if I elect to use the new bearings as supplied? Am I missing something obvious here? Keep in mind I'm trying to reduce radial play to the largest extent possible. How would you experts handle this?

-Ben Hofmann

hologrind is online now Plastic

Ben,
    1.378' is a 35mm bearing. If yours are smaller, they won't fix anything. There are a couple of different loctites for cylindrical retaining, but you have to be very careful using it around a bearing. It might get into the bearing and lock itself up. You should be able to get a 35mm bearing without going through Sears. You might try Graingers or MSC.
    Hope this helps.

David Utidjian is offline Titanium

There are also bearing shim-rings. They are made for oversized housings... not really for undersized bearings. McMaster-Carr sells them McMaster-Carr

-DU-

manualmachinist is offline Hot Rolled

Clean up the bearing Od's with isopropyl alcohol and smear on a little of this with your finger, and assemble it.

Loctite 680 Retaining Compound - Henkel

bhofmann is offline Plastic

Ok, it sounds like I have the wrong replacement bearings. And I even tried converting my measurement to see if it was metric. I guess my math was wrong. Thanks guys!

-Ben Hofmann