What's new
What's new

.02 cutoff blades

Joe Miranda

Titanium
I either need to grind existing cutoff blades down to .02 - or -better yet, find some already ground cutoff blades. Must be .02 +/-.001. Any help with a source would be appreciated. They must be .475 high. If I end up having to grind down existing blades, any suggestions for how to grind to .02? I tried grinding one of them and there is not enough mass to hold it down on my chuck (electro-magnetic chuck). Then I made a little fixture which seemed like it was working just fine ... until I loosened the hold down screws ... the thing curled right up out of the fixture!
Thanks for the help,
Joe

you could buy STARRETT .020" feeler stock. It's 1/2" x 12" and somewhat hard. Easy to grind the .500 to .475.

This doesn't sound like a prommissing propposition to me. :crazy:

But I think one thing that I would try - in efforts to keep some aount of stability and staitness:

Start with a big (tall) blade and only grind the 1/4 circle out of the corner - just enough to clear your part.

I take it that your rad is bigger'n .475 and your not really lookin' to use the "cut-off" blade as a cut-off tool, otherwose you could use any width under the sun. ???

Even a .5 rad would be a LOT of .020 tool hanging out there, let alone a rad of bigger value!

----------------

Good luck with that!
Ox

Can't quite picture what you are asking for. Does the ".475 high" mean you need a blade of that height to fit a holder on hand? Do you need a HSS blade? How deep must the .020 +/- .001 cut be made into the workpiece? Workpiece diameter, material and quantity would help too.

For a one off or low numbers shallow cut with HSS it's an off hand grinding job tweaked with a stone. For other situations there are off-the-shelf tools available but not sure what your .475 high specification means.

These are to go in special tools that one of my customers uses in their assembly process and they need to fit in some kind of tool holders that they had made. These end up being used as "hand tools". They are not used as cut-off tools but an inserted tool will not work. The .475 dim. is the height of the tool. The material must be hss in order to work (as told by my customer).

I don't think many of us fully understand .475 "High".

Could you sketch and scan maybe?

------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Limy

I think that slitting saw idea may just work. Now, how do I go about cutting the shape of a cut-off tool out of the slitting saw? If I get them wire burned, will that temper them?

Ox,

They are just standard cut-off blades. The .475 is a 1/2 cut-off tool. I don't know why they come in .025 under. They probably start with 1/2 nominal stock?

Cut them most any way you have available. Wire EDM wouldn't harm them, an abrasive cutoff wheel with sufficient coolant wouldn't either. If you are concerned leave a little over size and grind to height (width) in a secondary operation.

Dave,

I just got off the phone with the edm shop I use and he is going to get me price on burning them. I was thinking of just cutting them like you said with an abrasive wheel. Probably a bit more work on my end but it keeps more of the money in my pocket. Thanks for the help.

Joe,
If you take a blade .475 high and it's .020 thick at the top, you can only get 1.2° side clearance and that's if you take it to a razor point on the bottom.

Mike

Thanks Mike but there is no clearance that is going to be ground on these. Again, these are not going to be used for a typical cut-off operation. They are going to go into a special hand tool.

Back