What's new
What's new

reaming, to 5" deep

gvasale

Hot Rolled
got to figure a way to open up what is now a bronze tube. It was solid & was gundrilled. I expect, based on a quick check, that the ID is a little small. It needs to be maybe .010 over .375. Length of the tube is slightly over 5"long. Will a spiral chucking reamer do that depth and not wander?

Greg,

That should work fine as long as the current hole is straight because reamers just follow "the path of least resistance", a.k.a. the hole that's already there.

Ken

Vertical would be best so the chips can fall through.

Reamer would follow just as he said.

I would buy a carbide tipped reamer for that bronze! I recommend Rock River Tool.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

It may still wander in that distance. You'd have to try it and see. I used to have to ream steel tube for that distance and found that I had to grind a non-cutting pilot on the end of the reamer. This requires fairly close control of the hole size to begin with so that the pilot does not get into a bind condition. But at least the pilot would keep the reamer from going too far off center.

+ another on the above, Plus, you don't mention the wall thickness, watch for chucking deformation - bronze can be slippery stuff to hold but bored soft jaws help a lot.

Back