What's new
What's new

Bench work pad for delicate disassembly and assy. Maybe a little OT

6PTsocket

Aluminum
Whenever I have to work on a small device, often electronic, it is often a fight to keep tiny screws, springs and clips under control. I would prefer a surface that was soft enough to discourage bouncing but hard enough to be able to bear down with a screwdriver or other tools. I know they make watchmaker's pads but have no idea what the surface is like. Maybe a shallow rim would be helpful to prevent roll offs. I am thinking of a portable tray/pad with a non slip back. If anybody has made or bought something similar I would like to hear about it. It would be nice if it was also easy to clean.Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I use fast food trays around the shop for small item control as well as transportation. They are nice drip trays as well. Local restaurant supply companies have them, I found more variety on ebay. Mouse pads make nice small work pads, (if you can find them any more). Maybe plastic placemats cut to fit inside the fast food tray?

Whenever I have to work on a small device, often electronic, it is often a fight to keep tiny screws, springs and clips under control. I would prefer a surface that was soft enough to discourage bouncing but hard enough to be able to bear down with a screwdriver or other tools. I know they make watchmaker's pads but have no idea what the surface is like. Maybe a shallow rim would be helpful to prevent roll offs. I am thinking of a portable tray/pad with a non slip back. If anybody has made or bought something similar I would like to hear about it. It would be nice if it was also easy to clean.Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
old timer trick nail 3/4" square pine at top edges of table so nothing can roll off the top of bench and to work on a wiper rag in a plastic tray so if you drop small screw it will not bounce. a plastic tray either dark room tray or a cafeteria type tray works. actually the taller sides of a dark room tray usually 1.5 to 2" high sides makes it so everything you work on disassembly can be kept in the tray and moved else where if needed. usually if you disassemble something complicated and leave it on a bench for weeks things end up get pushed or moved or lost. a dish plate works in a pinch

I use a big piece of about 11oz veg tanned leather.

Makes a beautiful bench mat that is durable, wears in to look cool, comfortable to put your wrists on, does a decent job of controlling tiny parts when you drop them, is fireproof, and with a glaze on the front is decent enough at dealing with liquids.

How about this idea:

Aluminum commercial baking sheet with silicone rubber mat?

I have something similar on one side of our laundry sink as a catch-all for laundry detergents, fabric softeners, etc.

Both items are available from Amazon, and if you put a piece of rubber stair runner between the baking sheet and the bench it won't slide around.

FWIW, I generally use one of my Sinclair gun smithing mats to protect delicate items during disassembly. I have some old very short plastic spice jars with lids that I use to store small screws and other hardware while I'm working on the rest of the item.

Neither is anti-static, unlike the special benches at work that are covered completely with the light blue rubbery anti-stat mats. In the case of the baking sheet/silicone mat if you wipe the mat with a dampened dryer sheet and ground the aluminum sheet (IMPORTANT! Use a 1,000,000 resistor in series with the wire to prevent electrocution hazards.) you can dissipate any static before you touch electronics by using the rim of the sheet as a "first touch" dissipator.

These are the items I used for the laundry sink catch-all.

Amazon.com: New Star 36893 Commercial Grade 18-Gauge Aluminum 2/3 Size Sheet Pan, 15 by 21-Inch: Kitchen & Dining

Amazon.com: New Star Foodservice 36657 Commercial Grade Silicone Baking Mat Non Stick Pan Liner, 14-Inch by 2-Inch, 2/3 Size: Kitchen & Dining

I used one of those refrigerator type magnetic football conference schedules(that vendors tend to hand out around here this time of the year)as an improvised mat this past weekend. Soft enough to deter bouncing and slightly magnetic to keep small hardware from rolling. I probably wouldn't use it if project had on board memory or the like.

I use a cafeteria tray with a flannel washcloth or clean shop towel on it. They have a nice flat color background so parts don't disappear in plain sight. The soft fabric reins in escaping screws etc.

Kitchen snap-lid containers keep loose parts under control. Take precautions if static is a concern.

Watchmakers parts containers (look a little like shoe polish cans but with a clear plastic top) are great for storing very small parts and you can see what's inside without opening the lid.

Also, camera, note pad, Post-It labels, tags, writing implements, IPD's, parts lists, suitable cleaning products andequipment, etc are valuable adjuncts to any disassembly work station.

I use drafting table matting. It comes in light green, has a slight spring and is 'selfhealing'i don't remember the brand name, but you can get it from school outfitters on the web. Great stuff, I use double stick tape to attach it to the bench top.

In addition to the various suggestions given consider this. Make a shallow drawer with a canvas bottom. The drawer would be immediately in front of you. The front edge would be contoured to fit around your belly. With the drawer pulled out it fills the space in front of you. Anything that rolls off the front of the bench will be caught by the drawer. My uncle's watchmakers bench had a drawer like that.

Good point on the catch tray. Watchmakers benches have them built in. Personally, I wear a long clockmaker apron that covers my knees when I'm sitting. A real life saver.

You lazy SOB, there's a reason those screws bounce onto the floor, it's to keep you active and flexible as you get older! :)

And also to help keep your eyes good enough to find them... :rolleyes5:

I use drafting table matting. It comes in light green, has a slight spring and is 'selfhealing'i don't remember the brand name, but you can get it from school outfitters on the web. Great stuff, I use double stick tape to attach it to the bench top.

+1 on that "self healing" matting.

Cheap-arse these days, I use a LOT of ordinary "pink rosin" flooring/builder's paper from the local big Box as well.

BTW Jewelers, setters, and watchmakers in our shop were equipped with bespoke benches that had tall sides, in-curved work areas, and 'lap trays' to control parts that bounced or dropped.

Well worth curving a bit of poster board or hanging some ignorant toweling as a bounce-curtain for some tasks. Doesn't have to look designer/commercial, just get the job done.

Same with putting a knobbly terry towel across yer lap. Temporary, but can save some aggravation.

Another is doing disassembly on a board or pad - even newsprint - down inside one of those poly 'tubs' they sell for mixing DIY concrete. Cheap enough. Many sizes. Easily stored. Traps oils, paints, and cleaning solvents as well as loose parts.

We have a few options but all are basic same.

A photograph tray for large format that is maybe 18 X 20 or larger.

It is some magic plastic that is immune to everything and has 2 inch tall sides and one corner is a pouring spout.

Also collect stainless steel cooking sheets with some being for cakes with 2 inch or so tall sides and full size cookie sheet that is very large with maybe 1 inch sides.

Nothing bounces out and easy to clean.

Use a towel or rag as a liner if needed.

You can order anti static mats that have great cushion but they are not cheap.

Easiest is to get a large tray as described above and be carefull.

Watch yard sales as they show up and are usually cheap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Back