What's new
What's new

Benchtop motor for driving reamers.

Hickory

Aluminum
Many moons ago in my misspent youth, I worked in an automotive machine shop. We had a benchtop unit consisting of a motor, gear reducer, and a three jaw chuck. We used it for driving reamers when fitting kingpins and the like.

It appeared factory made. The ways you could get hurt with it were many, but it was a handy thing and I'd like to find one.

Does anybody know who made them and what they were called?

Thanks,
Jim

I can't help you on the name. I have seen similar units that were used for tapping. The spindle had two plates on it with a friction drive between the plates. Push in on the spindle and the near plate turned the spindle forward. Pull out on the spindle and the rear plate was driven by the back side of the friction wheel, reversing the tap.

Over at HGR the other day I saw several drill press heads.

Lay one down on a workbench, or buy a cheap HF drill press, cut the column and
weld in an elbow...

The Twister speed lathes are pretty good for this type of work. 5C with enough low end to even chase a lot material out of undersized threads, or run big countersinks. They are a big investment if you don't do enough regular work with them.
Sideways drill presses can kind of work, but they don't really go low enough unless you reduce it more. They make good multispeed, quick change buffers though.
They do make cheap "forbidden brand" variable speed lathes that you could just hack the front end off of.

Back