What's new
What's new

Bending 6061?

dave66

Cast Iron
Yes, I know 6061 Aluminum is not meant to be bent. However... I did it for years on a little part made from 1/4" round. It's about a 40 degree bend around a 1/2" die. In about 7 years and thousands of them... never broke a single one. Then with one batch of material, 2/3 of them started breaking off. It was obviously something to do with that batch. I tried a new batch, and it seems to not be breaking again. But now it's got me paranoid... It's tough on the nerves using a bender all day and thinking the next one is going to snap off in your face. I'm wondering if there's something simple I can do to lower the chance of breakage? Besides just not doing it anymore. ;-)

Like John says, anneal if you need the hardness or use it dead soft if not.

Possible your break-susceptible parts were cut to where you were bending the wrong direction in relation to the grain, too. Just don't try to bend it hot... that doesn't work out too well, either.

Thanks... Just did some test bends on a new batch, and I was bending the heck out of those things, back and forth... No break. So maybe just a fluke with the other batch. Hopefully.

As you already know, the bend you are making should be a piece of cake in that material. My bet is you got a batch of 7075 or 2024.

Back