What's new
What's new

Bridgeport on a Floor Mill

alskdjfhg

Diamond
Nothing crazy, but not something you see every day. Rotor is right at 20' long and 32,000 lbs.

Gotta drill some small holes 90 deg to the big mill's spindle in this coupling.

Borrowed a Bridgeport and set it on the table of the floor mill to do the work. Much easier with a quill than a big 90 head on the mill

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
73cf6604452e69d2cad511e3200d9954.jpg
588fd8b2ad121f7c2afa40b1f73aeed0.jpg
eeaf3765b6e9bb7b0560b8a1befd7456.jpg

Haha! Wish we could have done that a few times. Drilling with the 90 head absolutely is a pain compared to using a quill. Could have probably plopped a small table over there or clamped an angle plate to the face of the flange and used a mag drill too. C'mon, admit it... You did it for the photo op, didn't you? :D

Way to go Matt !
Reminds me of the pic someone posted awhile back in the antique forum with a radial drill sitting on a big pipe flange drilling the bolt pattern. May have been a penstock for a dam or some such, but I forget these days.
An overhead crane is a useful tool !
Stay safe ( and carry on )
Calvin B

Neato!

Having seen that, it looks like getting a spare BP head and making a bracket to hold it on the end of the table so you could "X-Y" it more readily might be handy too. Have it piloted so you could rotate the head from vertical to horizontal.

Nice clamps to hold it in place. Mt father told me about using a navy ship turret as the basis of a mill to true up a ten foot diameter magnet core and the vacuum tank to hold it.
Interesting the government surplus stuff they were allowed to have for free. The battleship armor strips did not work out so they used them for retaining walls instead..
The UC Berkely school of mining took the batleship California's silerware when the ship was scrapped. they just had to come up with a reason they should get it instead of it being sold.
Bill D

Back in the old days when I was using a milling attachment on a Southbend 9C I wished I could borrow a Bport. You make it looks so easy to borrow.

Back