What's new
What's new

Best choice for Water Based Rust Inhibiting Solution (otherwise knows as Coolant)

dkmc

Diamond
I'm looking to run in process parts thru a Mangus agitating
tank filled with (water based) anti-rust solution to remove most chips and protect the ferrous parts from indoor rusting.

Just so happens, (I suspect) coolant would be good at this!
Question is, are some better than others?
Which one would be high on the list as far as Rust Prevention?
Even if it is a lousy coolant....

There are rust inhibitors that are water soluble used to run in vibratory deburring tanks with a recirculating system. Don't know off-hand a brand though.

There are rust inhibitors that are water soluble used to run in vibratory deburring tanks with a recirculating system. Don't know off-hand a brand though.

I agree this is something to consider depending on how long rust prevention is expected outside the tank.

I tumble many of my ferrous parts (Many will rust if you fart in their direction) with such a solution. They come out of the tank, get blown off with an air gun, then can be out in open air for up to 3 days before they are properly packaged for shipping.

In that 3 day window I haven't had any rust develop.

I just bought a bottle of this Esprit rust inhibitor, it's a water based concentrate. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet. (Plug - Esprit's rust remover works like EvapoRust and is cheaper)

Rust Inhibitor: FREE SHIPPING on All Sizes - Rust Depot

We use Simple Green Crystal in our parts washer, and put a rust inhibitor concentrate in the solution that works pretty well, I can look up what it is if you are interested, might be from Zurn IIRC.

Here's the problem, any cleaners usually break down the rust inhibitors and rust inhibitors don't make good cleaners.

My suggestion would be to clean the parts and then dip in a semi-synthetic coolant or water soluble oil.

There are a bunch to choose from, there are probably several coolant distributors in your area. If not, look at these guys: Rust Preventatives | Chemical for inhibiting rust on metal surfaces
JR

I just bought a bottle of this Esprit rust inhibitor, it's a water based concentrate. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet. (Plug - Esprit's rust remover works like EvapoRust and is cheaper)

Rust Inhibitor: FREE SHIPPING on All Sizes - Rust Depot

We use Simple Green Crystal in our parts washer, and put a rust inhibitor concentrate in the solution that works pretty well, I can look up what it is if you are interested, might be from Zurn IIRC.

Esprit is actually about 2 miles from my shop.
I am using his rust remover, but I forgot he has the inhibitor as well.
I'm curious if it would work better longer than coolant.
YES if you can get the name of the Zurn or whatever that stuff is, that'd be
great.

Here's the problem, any cleaners usually break down the rust inhibitors and rust inhibitors don't make good cleaners.

My suggestion would be to clean the parts and then dip in a semi-synthetic coolant or water soluble oil.

There are a bunch to choose from, there are probably several coolant distributors in your area. If not, look at these guys: Rust Preventatives | Chemical for inhibiting rust on metal surfaces
JR

Thanks for that link JR

Esprit is actually about 2 miles from my shop.
I am using his rust remover, but I forgot he has the inhibitor as well.
I'm curious if it would work better longer than coolant.
YES if you can get the name of the Zurn or whatever that stuff is, that'd be
great.

We're using Zurnkleen 982-RP. We use Simple Green Crystal in a heated parts washer. Without the rust preventative, clean parts would rust as soon as they dried. Now they can sit for days without any rust showing up. I haven't tested how long they can sit, we always apply something else before storage. Zurn has other products that might be better, Zurn is a family run operation and has been very helpful to us, Mike stops here regularly. We like their Aquasol DX-1000 coolant, doesn't go bad or smell, doesn't cause respiratory irritation.

ZURNOIL

We're using Zurnkleen 982-RP. We use Simple Green Crystal in a heated parts washer. Without the rust preventative, clean parts would rust as soon as they dried. Now they can sit for days without any rust showing up. I haven't tested how long they can sit, we always apply something else before storage. Zurn has other products that might be better, Zurn is a family run operation and has been very helpful to us, Mike stops here regularly. We like their Aquasol DX-1000 coolant, doesn't go bad or smell, doesn't cause respiratory irritation.

ZURNOIL

Thank you Sir.
:cheers:

Been thinking on this a bit.

It goes against my thinking if we have a chemical that will easily mix with water,
gets applied to the steel, the water evaporates off, and now it's expected
to resist additional water ( dew, humidity etc. ) that causes rust ?

Re-habbing a snow tapper lately, it suffered rusting from water soluble coolant usage,
and then was put outside under a tarp. The coolant residue allows the water vapor to wet
out and attack the steel machined surfaces.

Been thinking on this a bit.

It goes against my thinking if we have a chemical that will easily mix with water,
gets applied to the steel, the water evaporates off, and now it's expected
to resist additional water ( dew, humidity etc. ) that causes rust ?

This is really counter-intuitive, isn't it? I'd love to know how it works.

This is really counter-intuitive, isn't it? I'd love to know how it works.

For short term, it does. There are some emulsions like Trim Sol that are very good at short term rust inhibitors. In short term, I'm thinking 7-10 days. The oil in the emulsion actually clings to the part. That's why you need to check concentration when replenishing the fluid.

In automotive, we needed longer protection. Back then we used a concentrate that was diluted with mineral spirits and spayed on the parts. That's no longer available (wonder why?)

One of my college roommates worked for a company in Omaha that sold a lot of parts to the military. His job was to write procedures so that they comply with MIL-C-11796C in all of the various classes. That was back when Cosmoline was still the answer. Now, a lot of stuff is packaged in vacuum sealed PET bags with a desiccant inside.
JR

Back