What's new
What's new

Best drill for 2 1/4" deep hole in 6061 T6 aluminum

slowmotion

Cast Iron
Drilling some holes over 2" deep in 6061 T6. They are 5" down in a bore so I'm using an ER11 collet extension just to be able to reach the starting point. What design drill would be best for chip removal? The drill needs to have enough flute length and 4" oal would be good.I have no coolant on my CNC but will use a peck cycle. Suggestions on peck increments, feed rate welcome also.

what's the diameter? what's the control? haas? mazak? moog hydrapoint/ slo-syn? bridgeport BOSS4?

if it is G83 pecking .... the depth of the first and successive pecks depends upon the drill's diameter.

If I, J, and K are specified the first cut in value is specified by an "I" argument, each succeeding cut will be reduced by the value of the "J" argument, and a minimum cut in depth is specified by the "K" argument.

so,.. if your control supports variable pecking..... t_ m6,m3 s_xxx g54, g83 x_y_ f_ z-_ I(1ST DEPTH)J( I DIVIDED BY K) K (MINIMUM PECK)

Thats the idea.

parabolic flute drills are very good for chip evacuation.

Yeah, forgot to mention the diameter. It's 3mm. Milltronics machine with a Centurion 7. I just rob the conversational peck drilling program that's on the machine and stick it in whatever program I'm making. I can make it peck and feed at whatever I want. I am but a simple self taught automotive machinist so don't get too technical on me!

an 1/8 hole @ 19 diameters in gummy 6061 with no coolant ? i suppose you could just fill the bore with cutting
fluid of some kind and hope for the best . also, tweak your -I- and -R- planes in the G83 cycle. you may get
nests of chips that you'll have to manually remove . it may take longer to drill, but if your -R- plane is
above the part, you'll have a better chance the chips will clear and you won't break that little drill.

Back