What's new
What's new

Craigslist Kalamazoo Bandsaw, evaluate for me please

It's old, dirty, missing the cast iron vise jaws, and part of the coolant tank. Probably needs all new guides (bearings) and seals in the cylinder. Price is on the low end. Cleaned up and pretty, with the correct jaws, probably worth $1,200.
JR

A good saw in working order. That one, not so much. But, parts are available for the Kalamazoos. I only paid $600 for my Johnson J, ready to rock.

Josh

Some parts are available - later model gearbox parts seem to be available but early versions are not, I think the quick release parts for the original vise are no longer available as well. Early version has ~8" dia worm gear and they don't have that anymore. Bearings are easy and cheap. I think I saw one local for about 1/2 that in the last few days on craigslist. They are really solid I believe weighing somewhere around 500#.

Paul

doesn't look like it has a band on it . also....looks like the vise is hunks of angle-iron. if the machine is good, though, it might
be a diamond in the rough . that saw is solid cast iron .. so if it runs at all it could be ok with a few hundred $$$ thrown at it.

vise , guides , band ,bearings, motor?~ $350 for parts . i'd pay $400 for it - you'd have to spend some time on it too....
it could be a sweet machine ( or a rusted pile of crap ) go see it and take pics and post them here . i'm sure everyone will
be brutally honest .

good luck.

well, i paid asking price of $75 for this 9ad but that's probably not a fair comparison.
2011-10-30_18-31-01_636.jpg

Like the guys have said, this saw has earned its keep.

The wheels need to be checked too. I have a 9AW that I let the blade run up on the tension wheel. IOW I screwed the wheel up. I was able to clean it up on the lathe. Does the cylinder hold the saw head up?
To get the vise back to original would be big $$$ also. The Kalamazoo has an excellent vise.

I would keep searching CL and sale flyers. You'll stumble up on one in better shape for the same bucks.

Be patient and good luck!

Tom

Back