Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike72

Thread: best gasket material for gas can lid

Bill D is online now Titanium

Default best gasket material for gas can lid

I need to make a new gasket for a safety type gas can. No shear or torque on the gasket just a straight push force to seal it off. So what is the best material to use with todays gasolines? The old gasket was cork, maybe 1/8" thick. Just a simple round disk with one screw hole in the middle.
    Bil lD.

atomarc is online now Titanium

Neoprene! Get it in sheet from McMaster!

Stuart

Weirsdale George is offline Stainless

I have regular 1/16" tk paper gasket material coated with gas tank sealer.

thermite is offline Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I need to make a new gasket for a safety type gas can. No shear or torque on the gasket just a straight push force to seal it off. So what is the best material to use with todays gasolines? The old gasket was cork, maybe 1/8" thick. Just a simple round disk with one screw hole in the middle.
    Bil lD.
    Might find what you need hanging on the blister-pak racks of a decent auto-parts store. ELSE grab a cheap hole-saw and look about at file-folders and floormats. Cork, and others gasket-material the auto-parts stores sell small sheets of. Rubber in smaller-than-sheet can be found in the plumbing sections of Bog Box for sink-to-wall cushioning, furniture mounting pads, lawn and garden equipment parts and such, though it wants a test to see if it is gasoline-resistant - some is, most is not.

If your 'safetey can' is from a major-maker, there should be gasket sets 'somewhere' - MMC, Grainger, and the usual suspects worth a browse- that drop right in. I'd hit the chainsaw and mower section at Lowe's or HD looking for a gas-cap to be robbed - then the auto-parts store before wasting time trying to cut one.

Bill

doug8cat is offline Stainless

Way Way back my father had one and it was made of cork. Not sure how that would fly with all the new regs out there but it worked great.

Mike72 is offline Hot Rolled

Cork is still a good material for today's fuel and probably your best choice. The best material is Viton F, and it's one of several Viton grades auto manufacturers use for seals that contact gasoline. The lower grades swell slightly. Viton is very expensive however.
    TDegenhart likes this.