What's new
What's new

Questions on Clausing Variable speed

maynah

Stainless
Hello, I asked for opinions of a Clausing 1300 lathe about a week ago and got back very positive answers. The machine I am looking at is in very good condition but has been sitting in the owners unheated barn (I'm in Maine) for about 4 years. The owner said everything worked fine but it wasn't powered up. I told him of my concern about the vari-speed and he didn't know about it, but it had never been a problem for him. My question is, does the 1300 have the same problematic variable speed as the 5900 series has, or is it a different set-up?

The owner called me this evening and said he did hook it up to run it, and the vari-speed was acting up. When he moved the lever above 800 rpm it worked fine, but when he went below that the lever would spring back to the 800 position, and would not change the speed. Does this sound like the delrin bushing problem, if it has them, or could this be leaking, low fluid level?

I'm going over to check it out tomorrow. Some back ground on the machine: he said he didn't change speeds very often but every once in a while he would run the speeds up and down just to give them a work out. What are the symptoms of a delrin bushing problem?

This is a nice machine and I'd like to get it but I'm not sure if this is a serious problem or not. Thanks in advance for your help. Jeff

Sounds like the slave cylinder is stuck. It's mounted on the end of the motor shaft outboard to the V/S drive pulley. Just disassemble, clean and replace the O-rings. Easy repair.

After repair, fill with light hydraulic oil and bleed the air out. There is a bleeder screw at the outlet side of the master cylinder. I used ATF in mine for 4 years with no problems.

The pulleys will probably be very rusty from not being used and will need to be cleaned up or it will embed in the drive belt and make more noise than your mother-in-law.

Hello,

Pull the fiberglass cover off the back of the lathe and check the oil level in the pump for the vari drive. Upper left coner, there is a small sight glass. Add oil to at least half full.( any light hyd.oil for now )
Turn lathe on and rotate the vari speed handle all the way counter clockwise and hold that position for a few seconds. Repeat and check the oil level again. This bleeds the trapped air and resets the drive. Now try the spindle speeds.
As the seals get old this is a common problem when the lathe sets idle. I eventually replaced the seals on my lathe to correct the problem. I used new quadrings etc. from a local supplier. Did not need to go to Clausing.
Let me know how you make out.

Brian

Thanks Ralph and Brian. I'm headed over there first thing tomorrow morning. You guys gave me just the kind of information I was hoping to get. I'll let you know what happens. Jeff

does the 1300 have the same problematic variable speed as the 5900 series has, or is it a different set-up?
Same Vari-speed, although I don't know why it has such a reputation of being problematic. It's the same mechanism as the original Monarch 10EE and the Bridgeport Vari-Speed head, and just like in those machines, if you don't replace the plastic bushings, catastrophic problems can happen.

When he moved the lever above 800 rpm it worked fine, but when he went below that the lever would spring back to the 800 position, and would not change the speed.
Like Brian says, that sounds like you either have air in the line, or you're low on hydraulic fluid.
When the Vari-Speed bushings get worn, the pulley starts thumping and making all kinds of racket.

I went to look at the lathe and I think it's alright. The problem seems to be in the speed indicator numbers on the hand levers themselves. He had the gears set in midrange and the levers were at the end of their travel. That's when the springy lever feel would be there. The dial said the rpms were 800, but the actual speed was alot slower than that. Maybe 350, which is about what the slowest speed in midrange would be. It's as if the numbers on the dial have rotated around and aren't giving a true reading. No other strange noises so I think it's OK.

DSCN1970.jpg

It's had an easy life and the owner used great tooling that comes with the lathe: Burnerd 3jaw chuck, Aloris tool post and holders, Royal lever collet closer and Hardinge collets, Albrecht drill chuck. The only thing I need to get is a 4 jaw chuck. Thanks for being generous with your knowledge and experience. Regards, Jeff

Hello,

Looks good!! Hope it has the chip pan ? Different on/off/rev switch than I've seen before.
Would have to look, but I think you can reset the dial.
Brian

I can't see the ways, but if that's the original paint (it sure looks like it) then it looks like it's in good condition.

On these long-distance photos, you can often tell how much the lathe has been used by how chipped-up the paint is on the front-side of the tailstock.

It's also got a decent Dorian toolpost. That's worth $100 - $150, even more if he's got a collection of toolholders.

By the way, is that the right steady rest? That looks like the steady from a Colchester, and it looks too big for that lathe -- might just be the angle of the photo...

Good luck!

Robert

It does have the chip pan, it's just still off from looking at the vari-speed pulleys. It's really a model 1301 and from what I could find on-line some of these have that kind of motor control. It has the original paint. Only bad spots are the peeling you can see behind the apron. I don't know about the steady. I wouldn't know the right one if I saw it. It didn't seem out of place. Thanks again, Jeff

Hello,

Can not tell from the picture as to center line height, but the steady rest is the correct style and is a great find also. The tooling for the lathe sounds like a " package " deal offered with the lathes if wanted. I ran one as an apprentice at Goodyear Tire that had the same attachments.
Need any more if please feel free to contact me.

Brian

Brian,

Had the very same problem with my Clausing 1300 last month. I never had a problem with it for many years and all of the sudden I had the "springy" vari-speed issue you mention. Mine was worse though - it would not change speeds at all, except through the Low-Middle-High speed selector. I thought I had a real problem, I removed and rebuilt the upper hydraulic (Master hydraulic end) part with new O-Rings, still had the same problem. Puzzled I hooked up a separate hand pump to the lower end (eliminating the upper end), and powered up the lathe and the speed changed as it should-so I knew that that portion was working OK. Since I already knew the upper end was OK, I rigged up a way to hold the speed selector all the way clockwise (Slowest) and kept the upper end fluid level topped off. Waited a few hours (Likely over the necessary time) and VIOLA! it all worked fine again.

I now notice that I have to return the speed to the lowest RPM selection on the Vari-Speed each time I shut the lathe down or it tends to return to the same problem. If some one knows how to remedy that both Brian & I would benifit.

Thanks - Ken B

Darn it I meant to mention:

That if the lathe is not showing any significant rust the pulley shafting is probably OK.

That the Steady Rest looks exactly like mine.

The lathe is identical to mine with the exception of the motor control buttons and Fwd-Rev lever.

Ken B

Hello,

You will probably need to replace the Quad rings on the lower pulley set up. Mine were not regular o-rings and you will be able to see the difference when the pistons are apart. Also, the tubes connecting the pistons have o-rings on them. The parts are hard coat aluminum. I believe the pistons leak down when not fully retracted causing the spongy feel and the need to re-bleed on each start up. Do you have the book for the lathe ? It will show the assembly in the parts section. I put up with the problem for quite awhile until I rebuilt the assembly. Not a dificult job, just take your time and don't scratch the parts when removing or installing the seals.
PS: Maynah: A nostalgic sight to see this lathe in such great condition, especially since I bought mine new in 1978.Haven't seen one this nice since.

Brian

FWIW, I believe it is normal for the hydraulic variable speed to need the lower end "reset" if it sits for an extended period. On my 5900 there is a factory label that says something to the effect that if the dial will not go all the way to the bottom of the range, to hold it against the low speed stop for 30 seconds (while lathe is running). I believe this pushes any excess oil back into the reservoir and reestablishes the ends of the range.

If I use my lathe several times per week the dial works properly, but if I let it sit for 3-4 weeks I have to follow that procedure as it only wants to go down to about 700-800 RPM.

No big deal, just a quirk of this type of system I guess.

Lathe update: I bought the lathe, have it hooked up, runs good. Lazlo, you were right about the steady rest. This one is for a 15" lathe, 7 1/2" from ways to center of circle. Soooo, does anyone have a Clausing 13" steady rest they would like to trade? I know it's a long shot but it's worth a try. Ken B says mine looks just like his 1300 so mine must be for a 1500 I'm guessing.
DSCN1977.jpg

What do I need to do to see the pictures. I am new to the forum.
Photobucket has committed corporate suicide. Old photos replaced with the "Please update" note are being held for ransom and people are not paying, so consider the photos unavailable.

You may try contacting Maynah to see if he can repost the photos directly to the Practical Machinist photo hosting files in a fresh post to this thread.

Larry

Back