What's new
What's new

Best Penetrating Juice?

Ox

Diamond
I've got a Kurt that is tied up dog-fast.

I've been on it hard enough that it is very impressive that I haven't twisted the shaft into a pretzel.

So - I'm wonderin' what kind of miracle juice I can dribble down inside and leave soak?

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I had one lock up on me like that and if I recall correctly I ended up taking it apart and gave it a couple of sharp raps on the inside face of the shaft with a brass punch before it would break loose. I think it was a frozen up thrust bearing.

Another one for KROIL here. Soak it down good and put in a garbage bag tied shut. The volatiles won't evaporate and it will work that much better.

I've got a Kurt that is tied up dog-fast.

I've been on it hard enough that it is very impressive that I haven't twisted the shaft into a pretzel.

So - I'm wonderin' what kind of miracle juice I can dribble down inside and leave soak?

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

WHAT?!?!

You've been a member since 2002.
You have over 21,000 posts.
...and you haven't read about this topic 1000 times already?

Seriously, when I read the title, I thought: "must be a new member"

Another one for Kroil. I often find that adding heat to expand one part away from the other helps. After a Kroil soak, heat, more Kroil, more heat, might also consider an impact hammer cautiously applied to further loosen things. 200 ft. lbs. of impact often seems to beat 400 ft. lbs. hanging on a bar. If it won't back right out after that, maybe tighten, back out, tighten, to see if you can get it free.

Sounds like you're going to want a Kurt rebuild kit no matter what you do to get it unstuck.

WHAT?!?!

You've been a member since 2002.
You have over 21,000 posts.
...and you haven't read about this topic 1000 times already?

Seriously, when I read the title, I thought: "must be a new member"

I don't frequent the General board much.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Hello Ox,
let us know what works best for you. My vises need a clean-up grind, The original finish was perhaps too coarse. But I think poor maintenance on my part is the main reason.
otrlt

Back