What's new
What's new

best quality quick-disconnects?

specfab

Titanium
Anybody out there have a recommendation based on experience with best mfr and source for NON-LEAKING quick disconnect air fittings? I have a small compressor in a one-person shop, and when I leave an air nozzle plugged into the hose, the compressor cycles every 20 minutes or so. I can hear the leaking at the quick-disconnect. I'm not a big air user, but it's annoying to a) have the compressor running when no air is being used, and b) to need to disconnect the hand-use nozzle to prevent that. I'd be willing to bet that leaky quick disconnects are a big contributor to compressor cycling in a lot of shops, but I'm interested in what I can do to prevent that.

The universal females they sell at California industrial rubber seem to work well due to extra rubber parts but not cheap.

The males are mostly the same but some are slightly different and leak some who like others seal well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

It is pretty easy to replace the o-ring in the female disconnect. hard part is taking it apart to get the dimensions then figuring out where to get that size. The you have to reassemble it until the part arrives. and do it over again.

CEJN is a brand from Sweden that makes quality push on connectors.

They were spec'd by one of my customers for a special project so I haven't used them for air but they seem very high quality and I like how they work. (They buy them because they don't leak from what I understand)

McMaster-Carr

$23 each though at mcmaster

I have used the Tru-Flate style for eons. That isn't a brand but rather the style, but whatever the brand, they always last for many, many moons before they ever leak. My guess would be your leak is originating at the hose to coupler connection or the air gun or whatever is attached to your quick connect.

The style you pick will be predicated on how many of what style you already have on your hoses and tools. Don't know what 'brand' McMaster-Carr sells but they are the ones I've been using for about 35 years...and very few leaks.

Stuart

I haven't had a problem with them leaking, milton and a few generic came with the hose types.
When I was still working and doing set up I always seemed to have both hands full and wished someone sold something that could be switched with one hand.
Dan

I also have had good luck with the Dixon ones, "push to connect" style. You don't have to pull the sleeve back to insert the male part. These fit the most common male size. Check out McMaster P/N 6534K16 and similar items.

CEJN, the blue stripe ones, 1/4" I/M

they last about 5 years of heavy use before I have to rebuild them, then they go another 5 after changing out the o-rings and loctiting them back together.

Their site sucks hard, but a local distributor has them on the shelf.

CEJN, the blue stripe ones, 1/4" I/M

they last about 5 years of heavy use before I have to rebuild them, then they go another 5 after changing out the o-rings and loctiting them back together.

Their site sucks hard, but a local distributor has them on the shelf.

This is compressed air we're talking about. I'm pretty sure their site.....blows. :)

For good, cheap and easy to get, try Kobalt connectors from Lowes. The females have 6 balls, the only coupler I've seen with 6 so far, and the few i've installed don't leak yet. For pushbutton couplers I prefer Prevost, they are long lasting and pleasant to use.

I use the connector style labeled 'automotive', they flow more than the industrial connectors.

honestly if you replace them semi regularly, they don't leak.

reminds me that it is time to do that.

buy a dozen and put them in a drawer so that when it bugs you, you can fix it right then.

I use Miltons as well. They leak a miniscule amount when used dry (can't hear the leak but the compressor does cycle more with things plugged in). I have lately been applying a thin smear of silicone grease to the ends of the male adapters and that has actually helped quite a lot. The couplings seal on the end of the male adapters face, so any nicks/dents/scratches there can cause a tiny leak pretty easily. The silicone grease seems to help curtail the leaking at least somewhat.

I'd be willing to bet that leaky quick disconnects are a big contributor to compressor cycling in a lot of shops, but I'm interested in what I can do to prevent that.

Yeah it is.. I never realized how much until My big compressor shit the bed and I had to
go to a cheapy back up.. One little hiss at a quick connect and that little bastard
would run and run and run and run and run....

So, now every time I go to Harbor Freight, I pick up a couple packs of nipples and quick connects.
I haven't had any of the new ones I've installed in the past 2 years go bad... YET.

The second anything leaks.. It goes right in the trash and gets replaced... And its not always
the quick connects, the nipples can get dinged up also..

Now I can come back to work on Monday morning, turn on the compressor, and it won't start, because
the system is still holding pressure... Fixing all the little leaks and running the compressor at
a lower pressure 90 to 120 instead of 120 to 145 has saved me about $150 a month.

So, now every time I go to Harbor Freight, I pick up a couple packs of nipples and quick connects.
I haven't had any of the new ones I've installed in the past 2 years go bad... YET.

I picked up a handful of HF male connectors, thinking "how bad can they screw this up?". Well, they were turned oversize and wouldn't fit in other brand female connectors. :crazy:

Back