What's new
What's new

Best texts and reference books?

Kbdutson

Plastic
Hello, fist would like to say thank you to those on the forums. I'm excited to have a place to share ideas, problems, techniques, etc...
A short snippet on the reason for the thread and myself. So, I recently picked up a job at a new production shop in town. I have been out of machining for about 10 years now and had a manual/toolmaking focus when last in the trade. I had apprenticed under my father as a tool maker for 2.5 yrs and worked for a small company doing fabrication for 2 yrs after. I had been running my dads lathe since the age of 10 (23 yrs ago), dad insisted. Now, 10 years out of machining I am back to it.

I'm looking for any suggestions on reading material to refresh my memory on the manual machining and toolmaking aspects of the job. I am hoping shine in this area and push for the need of a toolroom in the shop. In hopes that I would run that. Right now the company is finding its bearings and is inexperienced 1 yr in production. I'm in at ground level along with 3 other machinists. 1 CNC Swiss lathe guy, 1 fab/manual guy, 1 do it all guy, and me the extoolmaker.

For now they have us all running swiss and our swiss man is training me up right now. The intent as I know is to have me do some fab work to get various machines and new jobs up and running and to do tool changes/ offset changes on the swiss lathes to keep the operators running. Also some set up too. But, seeing as they are getting a lot of their tooling from china and is always wrong I will be pushing to bring me back to toolmaking. Hopefully in a toolroom with precision tool lathe and the works. Right now we have a bridgeport with cracked casting and loose gibs. A not so great engine lathe (forgot make), no surface grinder, and the tools and fixtures are lacking to say the least.

I know I've dragged this on and do apologize. I run with things when I get excited. I just want some suggestions on books. A CNC book would be very beneficial aswell. Just want to polish up before I start diving into the tooling/fab work they will need. I'd like to show that I am capable and will be an asset to moving the company forward

Hello, fist would like to say thank you to those on the forums. I'm excited to have a place to share ideas, problems, techniques, etc...
A short snippet on the reason for the thread and myself. So, I recently picked up a job at a new production shop in town. I have been out of machining for about 10 years now and had a manual/toolmaking focus when last in the trade. I had apprenticed under my father as a tool maker for 2.5 yrs and worked for a small company doing fabrication for 2 yrs after. I had been running my dads lathe since the age of 10 (23 yrs ago), dad insisted. Now, 10 years out of machining I am back to it.

I'm looking for any suggestions on reading material to refresh my memory on the manual machining and toolmaking aspects of the job. I am hoping shine in this area and push for the need of a toolroom in the shop. In hopes that I would run that. Right now the company is finding its bearings and is inexperienced 1 yr in production. I'm in at ground level along with 3 other machinists. 1 CNC Swiss lathe guy, 1 fab/manual guy, 1 do it all guy, and me the extoolmaker.

For now they have us all running swiss and our swiss man is training me up right now. The intent as I know is to have me do some fab work to get various machines and new jobs up and running and to do tool changes/ offset changes on the swiss lathes to keep the operators running. Also some set up too. But, seeing as they are getting a lot of their tooling from china and is always wrong I will be pushing to bring me back to toolmaking. Hopefully in a toolroom with precision tool lathe and the works. Right now we have a bridgeport with cracked casting and loose gibs. A not so great engine lathe (forgot make), no surface grinder, and the tools and fixtures are lacking to say the least.

I know I've dragged this on and do apologize. I run with things when I get excited. I just want some suggestions on books. A CNC book would be very beneficial aswell. Just want to polish up before I start diving into the tooling/fab work they will need. I'd like to show that I am capable and will be an asset to moving the company forward

Most current "book" that is of the most immediate USE you are likely to find is PM itself. Real people solving real problems, on real machines, some of which will match what you have to deal with.

Set your display preference to all the way back. Most things get covered several times, others but once or twice, and perhaps ten or more years ago.

Budget several hours of an evening, read much, post little until it falls into place, and the time will be more productive.

Good Hunting!

For CNC reading I wouild try Peter Smid. He has writted a whole series of books and those that I have looked at or read are very good. I have no experience of swiss machines so may not be as appropriate for that.

This is a great book for anyone who wants to go back to the basic. It's an old book but conventional machines haven't changed much. Plus they show how to sharpen drills, lathe tools, etc.
Shop Theory: Henry Ford Trade School: Henry Ford Trade School, Frederick E. Searle: 9781163156322: Amazon.com: Books

Also I like Machine Tool Practices by Robert Kibbe, John Neely ISBN 0-13-27O232-0

AND Practical Mettallurgy and Materials of Industry By John E, Neely ISBN 0-13-683236-9

Plus the obvious one and you probably already have one. Machinery's Handbook, 29th: Erik Oberg: 9782: Amazon.com: Books
I see Amazon has several listed and I bet you could buy one on Ebay.
Another great source is Scribd - Read books, audiobooks, and more

Have to rely on the others for CNC as I can rebuild them, but don't run them
In my trade of Rebuilding I read "Machine Tool Reconditioning" by
Edward Connelly and anyone who wants a copy I sell them

+1 on Machine tool Practices by Kibbe, etc. Large, well-illustrated book is great. Earlier editions cover shaper work as well.

Back