What's new
What's new

Best way to Cut Internal Keyway in Flanges for Bulk Production

kkraj

Plastic
Dear All,
I am new in engineering Business, Using Shapper Machine for internal Keyway cutting in 12mm to 1 Inch thick MS Flanges/ Couplings. some buddy told me that if I use Slotter machine against the shapper then it will more usefull and time saving for me.. please suggest that which is best for production ? I have to cut 40 to 60 internal keyways daily..

Thank you for your time..

Regards,
kkraj

Happy first post!

Other than the plane of operation, the action and function of shapers and slotters are so virtually identical, that some manufacturers called their machines "vertical shaper/slotters" Basically, turning the ram of a shaper from the horizontal to the vertical makes the difference. One company, Rhoads, actually offered a bolt on frame addition that makes that quarter turn of the ram and the additional linkage to complete the horizontal to vertical shaper transformation.

You might do well to search "rotary" broaching, such as here, Rotary Broaching Videos | Slater Tools, Your Source for Rotary Broaching and Screw Machine Tools "pull broach" for the cut that is needed.

Or pull broaching, an operation in use for many years, with used machines of a wide range of capacity available, which would be my choice for your need. A single action, one pull-through of the broach, completes the needed slot with precision. CNC versions are now available but for your stated needs, a good 50 year old pull broaching machine and manual operation, would most likely be the best return for your machinery investment.

Bob
Edit: Pull broaching opens up the opportunity for any internal shape imaginable, for just the price of another broach. Standard broaches in many configuration, some below in the second thumbnail and custom broaches at a higher price.

Attachments

• Pull broaching.jpeg
    Pull broaching.jpeg
    8.7 KB · Views: 6,406
  • Unlimited array of internal shapes.jpeg
    Unlimited array of internal shapes.jpeg
    15.5 KB · Views: 927
At least a good way is a decent slotting machine with some decent tooling
here is a video of a Schmann syncron 225 I have for sale right now

In the video it makes a 16mm wide slot at 55strokes/min and 0.1mm infeed/stroke
That makes for one complete 16mm slot of 4.3mm deep in about a minute machiningtime
And how long does it take to clamp and unclamp it in a chuck you can figur out yourself

peter from holland

Slotter and Shaper are probably equally efficient. A slotter can be more convienient and has the advantage of a built in rotary table. For production keyway cutting that does not justify a broach machine, a keyseater machine might be the answer, and much faster than a slotter or shaper.

For production keyway cutting that does not justify a broach machine, a keyseater machine might be the answer, and much faster than a slotter or shaper.

I also thought so but after I did some testing on that Sachman slotter with autofeedI doubt that
A minut machiningtime on a 16mm wide slot is hard to beat IMHO
The German made keyseaters like the Stuhlmann and Fromag have hydraulic versions and can go up to over 100mm wide slots in one go So for big sizes that is the way to go Also they have no throat so no limitation in diameter
But the clamping on these takes much longer than with a chuck
A shaper is a PITA IMHO

Peter from Holland

I also thought so but after I did some testing on that Sachman slotter with autofeedI doubt that
A minut machiningtime on a 16mm wide slot is hard to beat IMHO
The German made keyseaters like the Stuhlmann and Fromag have hydraulic versions and can go up to over 100mm wide slots in one go So for big sizes that is the way to go Also they have no throat so no limitation in diameter
But the clamping on these takes much longer than with a chuck
A shaper is a PITA IMHO

Peter from Holland
Another point for slotters or shapers, the hole in the part need not be a through hole, as is required for a broach.

Quote: "But the clamping on these takes much longer than with a chuck," that would take some convincing for me. For sixty parts a day on a horizontal shaper, a dedicated fixture would be the way to go. Could be as simple as pair of pins* to nestle a concentric part between in a clamp, such as a pneumatic vise.
*a brush stroke or poof of air cleans them.

A lttle more sophisticated for non-concentric parts, such as a chamfered, retracting post to locate on the hole in the part before hitting the air valve to close the vise. Snick-chooooo-cut. Hell, wallow around in hard manual labor, cranking the vise handle a couple of turns, quicker than a key in a chuck for me...and that chuck is not self-cleaning either, got a vertical hole gathering almost all the chips deep down inside.....;)

But, I am very jealous of you, John Oder and others that do have fabulous vertical slotters with variably timed rotary tables, on X-Y axes, inclinable rams etc.

Bob:)

Back