What's new
What's new

OT: Any one have Hyperbaric Chamber treatment?

5thwheel

Stainless
I had Radiation treatment for prostate cancer about three years ago. Things went fine for a year then I started peeing blood when ever I did any thing very strenuous. Even a sneeze can get it going. The continuing pain is constant, and worse at times of stress. The first line of repair is to spend two hours a day, five days a week for eight weeks in a hyperbaric oxygen chamber. I will be under 1.5 times atmospheric pressure breathing pure oxygen during each two hour session. I started the treatment a couple of months ago but only made it through 45 minutes when I realized I had no escape hatch. I am sealed in from the outside. There is a good reason for it as the pressure needs to be built up slowly and also released slowly. I freaked out and asked to be let out. They did not argue with me and went through the decompression as fast as they safely can. The alternative, other than living with it, is major surgery with a tube sticking out my bely and a bag on my leg until all heals (if ever). At 80 years old I'm not anxious for another major surgery.
Any one been through the chamber treatment that can tell me how to stay in with out freaking out?

Never had a full treatment, but I've been sealed up in one during an open-house at the local hospital. Here, there is an attendant inside with you the whole time, and like you said they always let you out if you can't stand it.

I sit in a pressurized tube 3 or 4 days a week anyway (airline pilot), and I've looked over the safety/emergency equipment on the hyper chamber. So as long as I had a good book, I think I could hack it! Besides, there are supposedly other benefits to the treatment like enhanced memory and mental function. Might be worth another try.

Good luck.

A friend of mine in Italy had to stay in one for a long time when he shot a BIG chunk out of his arm with a shotgun. He fell down with it.

I suggest you get some xanax,or better yet,ask a doctor for something to CALM YOU DOWN before you get into the chamber. Get into la-la land if you have to.

It is worth doing this compared to the alternatives you have mentioned.

By the way,xanax or other calming drugs will make you leak pee more than usual.

A friend of mine dives commercially. Hes fine in a dive suit - a dive bell and a whole bunch of other options. But the chambers freaks him out. As he says, there's no escape. His solutions to get to know the chamber and it's operator - supervisor. Sitting in on them decompressing other divers.

Once he's seen they know what there doing and not just some deck hand he finds its ok. Like most thing's its trusting the person treating you. I would have thought if you ask they can find anouther patient happy for you to watch what goes on from the outside. hence alleviate some of the fears.

I would think that getting involved in the details would help, it's an interesting process and doing it once by choice could be viewed as fun. Some chambers are larger than others and may be easier. Lots of people live through it...

Apparently dive chambers are much larger and can accommodate several people at once which would make it easier with company. This chamber is a clear tube about 3-4 feet in diameter and 7 feet long. I am six four so have to lay partially reclined on my back. I can not take any thing flammable inside like paper, no electronics or any thing that may cause a spark. Have to wear 100% cotton. I only have a water jug and an air mask for occasional outside air to prevent seizures. I can not wear my glasses inside because they are titanium which become flammable in oxygen. I can listen to CDs and watch a TV monitor which is mounted on the outside top of the tube. I have to be conscious during compression and decompression. I can see the attendant through the tube and either she or the doctor is there all the time. It is, for sure mind thing and a really big trust thing. I'm going to try to find some long books on tape and maybe a DC on learning a language. Also studying Zen stuff.

I would try to be as tired as possible and would try to sleep through the treatment. After a few treatments the claustrophobia was no longer an issue and I found boredom to be my main problem, there was no TV or music. It gets easier as the treatment goes on. Hope this helps.

Marci

A former submarine sailor, I've been in pressure chambers many times. No sweat.

In your case, do as someone else suggested; ask your doctor for a prescription of Xanax.

Orrin

You can watch TV and sound can be piped in. You might want to check out The Great Courses from " The Teaching Company". They have DVD's that probably could be played on your chamber's system... you'd watch and hear. They have courses on just about anything and they last for hours and are taught by great teachers. Check it out and if you get hooked on them..... it might help solve your problem.

Gordon, You are in a "pressurized tube" that is at approx. 8 thou feet pressurization. Also a 150 or so foot long, 30 foot D "tube". It seems that would make a difference.

The OP is a bit claustrophobic, and he is older than I and I can understand his qualms. I had an MRI a bit back, and I don't like going into that tunnel. They gave me earphones and asked what I liked to listen to, I told them, and I heard LOUD Classic Country for half an hour. I thought it was to relax me, but it was actually to try to mask the clanking that that damned machine makes.

5th wheel, at 80, I don't blame you at all for not wanting any more surgery. At 66+, I have never had, except for work injuries, any surgery, nor do I want any, thank you.

Good luck.

George

I would try to be as tired as possible and would try to sleep through the treatment. After a few treatments the claustrophobia was no longer an issue and I found boredom to be my main problem, there was no TV or music. It gets easier as the treatment goes on. Hope this helps.

Marci
Marci,
Thanks for the feed back. It is good to hear from some one who has actually been through it. I am sure it is a matter of mind.
How many treatments did you go through? How long were your sessions? Did they work for you?

Five days a week seems to me like having a part time job. I didn't have any TV or music the first time in. I have been doing Zen meditation for several years but only have been doing 40 minute sessions. It was working for me for a while but when I reached the 40 minutes I became aware of my surroundings and realized I could not get out on my own. I guess I am on automatic 40 minute sessions. Need to learn to extend out to 2 hours less compression and decompression time.

Gordon, You are in a "pressurized tube" that is at approx. 8 thou feet pressurization. Also a 150 or so foot long, 30 foot D "tube". It seems that would make a difference.

Oh yes, that makes a difference. Of course my section of that tube isn't really all that huge! The hyperbaric chamber at the local medical center is pretty big I guess, compared to the one the OP describes. I'm sure that I'd be quite uncomfortable in that one.

I forwarded the original post to a doctor friend who has considerable experience with hyperbaric chambers.

"Treatment of radiation injury is a very well-studied indication for
hyperbaric medicine. Hyperbaric oxygen is about the only modality that can
actually repair radiation damage by encouraging the growth of blood vessels
and revitalizing damaged tissue. Most patients have a marked relief of
symptoms, including blood in the urine, as you describe.

Confinement anxiety is a real issue with this treatment. At our center,
patients are given the option to be pre-medicated with something like
Ativan. For many, this is helpful, and enough for them to relax through the
treatment. Any good center should work with you; you always have the option
to stop a treatment if you need to. I don't know what kind of chamber you
were in. In our center, our single person chambers are surrounded by
acrylic, and appear quite roomy. You have full view of everything around
you. Another option for you might be to locate a "mulitplace" chamber,
which is more like a room where several patients are treated at one time.

I believe this therapy could help you, and I would encourage you to discuss
some of these options with your hyperbaric doctor. Best wishes for some
great dives!"

Melissa Fritsche, MD
Director of Hyperbaric Medicine
Spartanburg Regional Wound Healing Center

Again thank you all for your input. I have no doubt that this treatment will help. Getting past the fear is going to be my mental challenge but with the help of lorazepam and some boring videos I think I will be able to make it.

Bruce,

I didn't freak out, but then mine was for lower spine, I was in only enough to scan that, and the end of the tube was reachable, so, in a panic, I could have reached the end and pulled myself out.

Only done that 2 times, and the first time was in an "open MRI", kind of "C" shaped.

I don't know how I would react to something like a scan of the neck, I assume the neck would be all the way into that tube, I don't know if I would like that.

I have been in some close spaces, in Machine Repair, and in Crane Repair, I was uncomfortable in both those trades in those cases.

I was also in Sub School, many years ago, and in a compression/decompression chamber, big enough for the whole class. That was no less comfortable. I don't like closed in spaces that I cannot get out of.

Cheers,

George

When I was fifteen (1947) I worked for the city of Cottage Grove, Oregon mostly mowing lawns in the park, city hall and Vets housing but I also had the job of climbing down into man-holes to hook up fire hose for flushing out sewer pipes. I have been down in the Oregon caves several times (but you could not get me down there now) and other tight spaces. I have had many MRI and even in the heart scan where I had to lay with my left arm over my head while the Xray plates moved just inches from my head. No problems. I also used to crawl under houses to hook up ice maker lines when I could only scoot on my back. In all those cases there was a way out or at least I felt there was. Something changed now I can't handle tight or high places. Funny thing is that flying in an airplane does not bother me. It is funny what our minds do to us.

I had Radiation treatment for prostate cancer about three years ago. Things went fine for a year then I started peeing blood when ever I did any thing very strenuous. Even a sneeze can get it going. The continuing pain is constant, and worse at times of stress. The first line of repair is to spend two hours a day, five days a week for eight weeks in a hyperbaric oxygen chamber. I will be under 1.5 times atmospheric pressure breathing pure oxygen during each two hour session. I started the treatment a couple of months ago but only made it through 45 minutes when I realized I had no escape hatch. I am sealed in from the outside. There is a good reason for it as the pressure needs to be built up slowly and also released slowly. I freaked out and asked to be let out. They did not argue with me and went through the decompression as fast as they safely can. The alternative, other than living with it, is major surgery with a tube sticking out my bely and a bag on my leg until all heals (if ever). At 80 years old I'm not anxious for another major surgery.
Any one been through the chamber treatment that can tell me how to stay in with out freaking out?

Advice from my wife, who happens to be a hyperbaric/wound care nurse:

"The first treatment is usually the worst since you don't know what to expect. Try watching a movie while you are in the chamber - most facilities will be set up for this. Meditation & deep breathing can also have a calming effect. If none of that works, the doctor can at his discretion prescribe anti-anxiety meds."

Back