What's new
What's new

Monarch or Clausing

wheeliecake

Plastic
Hi,

So here is the question, simply put which is a better lathe Monarch 10EE or a 14" Clausing. I know the Clausing has been tested and can cut accurately to 0.0005. Ok, so my reasons, I'm a beginner looking to buy a good used lathe. I have about 2k to spend and there seem to be a few good lathes for sale in my area, which is Los Angeles. I am looking to learn, work on my motorcycles and make prototypes; I'd like to do some gun smithing but that is going to be a 'confidence' thing and I obviously have a long way to go.

I feel kind of silly saying it but the Monarch looks nicer...

Thanks, Ron.

:scratchchin:....... Condition, Condition, Condition. Being equal, a Clausing is not even in the same league as a EE, but if the EE is a POS....:popcorn:

There is no clausing on earth that will hold .0005, you may hit that number once in a while but it will be by accident. A 10 EE is about 50x the lathe any Clausing is. 2000.00 won't buy a good one though so buy the clausing and learn how to use it. It doesn't mater witch one you get if you don't know what your doing.

Thanks, I know you're right if you don't know what you are doing then it doesn't matter what machine you have. However, I really don't want to have to go through the update process as it has been such a chore to even get this close to getting a lathe. This is the line from the guy selling the Clausing: "the ways are in good shape last part I ran it held .0005 +or- " so I am only going by what he said; I have yet to check out the machine myself.

That being said the A10EE is 2500 and I would stump up the rest of the cash and I have to go and look, but I am definitely interested.

I really appreciate the reply's and I think getting started is the hardest thing!

Ok, The EE is one of the finest lathes ever made, BUT if the drive is bad.....etc, etc (its complicated). Here's what I would do, go and see both lathes, take lots of pics. Post the EE pics and the Clausing, down in the Monarch forum on this site, and ask for opinions. There are many flavors of EEs. It is a much superior machine, but a decent Clausing trumps a worn out , bad drive EE any day. And besides you want to do work, not restore a shop queen...I think.

The Monarch is by far the better machine, depending on condition of coarse. The next thing to consider is tooling, if a machine comes complete with tooling a couple of chucks, steady rest etc. one has to take a long look at it. The machine may be a bit less of a machine but if it is complete with all tooling it could stack up very well next to a better machine with no tooling. Bottom line , buying the machine is the cheap part, it's the tooling that will make all the difference. Shop around for parts and pieces and see what I mean. :codger:

"the ways are in good shape last part I ran it held .0005 +or- "

WTF does that mean? He wanted the part to be 1.0000" and after he crept up on the 5th time the diameter ended up being 1.0000"? He made a 1/2" long cut and the diameter wasn't off more than 0.0005" from one end to the other?

I'd go over and run each lathe. Make sure all of the features work and make sure they run relatively quietly.....take a piece of solid 1.5" aluminum round stock with you about 8 inches long. Make a couple 6" long cuts using the power feed. Measure the diameter at each end and in the middle. Buy the one that makes these 3 diameters closest together, if they're both in good shape otherwise. If they both cut good, buy the one that comes with the most tooling.

one thing to keep in mind too, the EE was built as a toolroom lathe. extreme precision, everything about it was designed from day one to deliver maximum precision at all costs. the clausing was built as a general all round lathe that was designed to do nice work, but also be drug from one side of the shop to the other and back until it can't hold a tolerance anymore, then replace, repeat.

given a choice, EE personally. unless you plan on doing work that wont fit in it obviously.

I would go very cautiously into a $2500 10EE, its likely to have some drive "fixes" you will likely not be that happy with.

A 10EE in good mechanical shape that's not worn out and has a working factory drive is an awesome machine thats fun to run.

For something reliable you won't have to pour a fortune into, Clausing's your best bet IMO.

Important footnote: your first lathe must work in all functions. In other words it can't need "some repairs" because you need a running machine to make new parts on. If you had skilled equipped friends willing to help then you can modify that, if you had access to another shop you can also modify that advice.

I've always been partial to Monarchs, but something to consider: what size work do you want to do? If it's outside the 10EE's envelope, you need something bigger. I used a 16x30 model 612 that once it was well and truly level, would hold your five tenths all day. The 10EE was a lot better on the small stuff but past two or three inches OD, the 612 was a lot faster and just as accurate, as well as capable of cuts that wouldn't be considered on a EE.

Back