What's new
What's new

Any one ever use phase 2 holders on an Aloris Post

Dieselrider

Aluminum
I have an Aloris tool post (b size) but no tool holders. Has anyone ever used phase 2 tool holders on an Aloris post? The only other B size holders I have right now are KDK and yes, they fit but, they do not allow for user friendly height adjustment. Thanks for the help.

I do, for BXA. Works fine. In fact, the worst fitting holder in my set (other than a special one I made myself and screwed up the dovetail) is an Aloris. All the Phase II and CDCO fit fine. By worst fitting, I mean that the handle cinches up at the 7:00 position instead of 4:00 or so for the others. I didn't know KDK made Aloris style holders.

I've used phase2 & Dorian holders on an Aloris post, BX sized (and on a Dorian superquick). Works fine, though the Dorian holders are much much nicer (as are the Aloris). Did not have trouble with the handle moving to 7 oclock, but I'm sure that sort of thing happens sometimes.

Greg

I do, for BXA. Works fine. In fact, the worst fitting holder in my set (other than a special one I made myself and screwed up the dovetail) is an Aloris. All the Phase II and CDCO fit fine. By worst fitting, I mean that the handle cinches up at the 7:00 position instead of 4:00 or so for the others. I didn't know KDK made Aloris style holders.

Thanks guys. The only thing the same on the KDK is the dovetail size. The stops are not useful at all on the KDK tool holders. You kind of have to just hold it in place and then lock the handle.

I had an Aloris AXA and also a phaseII. I found while the Aloris and Phase II tool holders worked on the PhaseII toolpost I found that a few of my phase II blocks did not work on the Aloris. Since the Phase II was otherwise just as good as the and since the Aloris was worth too much money on eBay off it went. It almost seemed as though the Aloris was made to tighter tolerances, however in this case it sure worked against me.

I have an Aloris BXA, and have bought a Phase II holder for special applications as I knew it would be soft enough to easily mill out for a larger tool bit. It fits the tool post OK, but the set screws are soft and cheap, as is the height adjustment hardware. Fit, finish, material, and hardware on the Aloris are clearly superior. I would not want a drawer full of Phase II holders for everyday use.

I bought a bunch of the import holders from CDCO (?). I ordered new set screws from McMaster-Carr. I took them apart and cleaned them up, replaced the setscrews and used loctite to secure the height-adjusting studs. Now, a problem I noticed is that the knurled disc that is used to set the height is smaller in diameter, and doesn't want to work all that well with my toolpost. I'd like to find a source for some larger adjusting discs, but for now I just live with it. I have several American made toolposts, and this may be more of a problem for my Armstrong toolpost.

I've got some CDCO tool holders, work fine on my Aloris CXA. They are by far the least cheapest holders I've found. As Jim says, the screws are junk, but easily replaced.

I use pretty much any of the holders that will fit. The cdco are ok. I also change out the screws.

One place that I worked at had several different holders, and different brand posts. On some of them you had to use shim stock in an "L" shape, to go down between the piston and the holder to get it to tighten up.:D

JAckal:cheers:

Back