What's new
What's new

It took a while but It is true now

steelreaper

Plastic
Hey guys I have been playing with my lathe for a while and couldnt get the feed rate and spindle speed to like each other for the steel im turning. I tried again last night and found a good combo in my eyes and my indicator finally runs true. Im very happy as I made a step in right direction although it can be frustrating at times. I am new to machining but it is very enjoyable. Here is a quick vid. I forgot to mention that I ran the indicator at 90o as well, I just didnt get a video of it. I know that this is standard in the industry but for a green machinist its pretty satisfying.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but you'll never get a good measurement pushing your travel indicator sideways like that. The rod needs to be perpindicular to the piece you're measuring. Kind of like pushing your foot on the side of your scale and thinking you've lost weight.

Sorry to piss in your boot, but running the indicator at that much angle could mean it is not responding to the surface. The stem of the indicator needs to be perpendicular to the surface being indicated, to get a 1:1 ratio on actual deflection versus dial reading. The more angle the stem is to the surface, the less sensitive it becomes, even if it could move freely (which it probably will not, due to binding up).

However, there is no real reason why that surface should not be running perfectly true. I would expect no less.

Oops, my message was preempted :D

Sorry guys I forgot to mention that I ran it both ways and got the same result. I should have mentioned that and should of known my boots would be pissed in..lol I didnt get video of the indicator perpendicular.

Also, not to further saturate the insides of your boots, you are turning that piece too fast to see any appreciable deflection on the indicator. Just put'er in neutral and turn it by hand!

Thanks for the advice, Im turning the piece at 220 I didnt think it was that fast. I turned the chuck by hand but though that it would be to slow to notice deflection. Thanks again for all your advice guys I really like learning from people who take this as serious as I do.

I'm a bit lost on what this measurement has to do with feed rate/spindle speed liking each other. Are you trying to evaluate surface finish by this method? :)

To explain Micheal, do you know that when you turn something on a lathe (a longitudinal cut), your part will be perfectly round and simply because of how a lathe is designed? You should not see any deflection on your needle on a surface that you have just cut. Any cut you make will produce a part that is concentric with the axis of your lathes spindle. So really, you are just getting some sort of measurement of surface smoothness. If it is the finish that you are worried about, you may consider using a feed in the range of .001-.003" feed per revolution. If finish isn't a concern, I would recommend something more like .003-.007" feed per revolution which will save on tool life and still look good.

Use your eyes, or your fingernail to 'measure' your surface finish!

Back