Marcibb is offline Hot Rolled

Default Bison Set Throught Chuck Service Manual

Does anyone have a spare hand operated Bison Chucks service manual?

The one that came with mine was soaked with oily preservative and many of the pages are unreadable it is an 8" 3 jaw set through scroll chuck it's service manual is dated 01/94. The chuck model is 95, 7174.

A link from where I can download a copy would be great.

Marci
    Last edited by Marcibb; 11-21-2010 at 04:35 PM. Reason: To add the model number

gwilson is offline Diamond

Set Tru,Marci. Probably not a lot to know. De degrease it and when you are running it for the first few hours,it will sling grease or oil on everything in line with it.I recommend you build a "house around it of wood or cardboard,and run it fast for a few hours. The housing only needs to be in line with the chuck.

Every several months,take the chuck apart and clean out any chips. Then,grease around the scroll. Then,you need to put up a guard again,and let it get its slinging over with.

If not,it will sling a line of crud right up the wall,and on your clothes,too. Keep your face out of line with the chuck till it has finished slinging grease.

You don't need to use MUCH grease. The chuck will sling most of it out anyway.

jabezkin is offline Stainless

Marci;
    On a new chuck these days it is it worth it to take it apart, deburr, and check for chips.

Reassemble with the right grease.

WHHJR is offline Stainless

It really doesn't hurt to R & R all chucks on a regular basis. Unlike sealed devices crud accumulates easily in scroll chucks.

How many times have you just 'cranked harder' to get to a new position? More than once?

MichaelP is offline Titanium

While looking for the right manual, check if Buck Ajust-Tru manual can be helpful: http://www.buckchuckusa.com/userfile...Operate(2).pdf

Thanks for the info guys.

I purchased this chuck a while back (very nice chuck to) I cleaned it a few time already that's not the problem. It is an older version and does not have the adjustment screw like the newer ones like this.

I need the manual help me figure out if I am adjusting the thing correctly and I like to have all the manuals for my stuff.

My chuck has an oil ball on the face where I have been squirting a few drops of 90 weight before use it it's been working fine.

Marci

L Vanice is offline Diamond

This is the grease I use in chucks and for lead screws on machines. I smear it on by hand while the chuck is apart. It is quite heavy and unlikely to throw out any liquid oil like some greases. I don't know what it costs. I have been working out of a couple of tubes I got with some used tools decades ago.

Dieco Diemaker's Grease

Marci, if your chuck does not have the four adjusting screws, why do you think it is a Set-Tru chuck?

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by L Vanice View Post

Marci, if your chuck does not have the four adjusting screws, why do you think it is a Set-Tru chuck?

Larry
    That what it said on the box. I may be wrong.

Marci

Dave A is offline Titanium

Marci - perhaps you could post a photo of the chuck as I am curious about the adjustment feature you mention. If it is not a "Set-Tru" design, there should be no adjusting point?

If it is a Set-Tru, I should have a manual somewhere for mine.

Ok I will try to get a picture tomorrow.

Marci

grandtools is offline Banned

Hey Marci.... I'm the guy you bought the chuck from. And my apologies for not getting the instructions to you, I know you asked me for a copy and I forgot. I do have a good one here and I'll send it to you. Its a tiny little "manual" , at least this copy is clean and fresh. I'll just need your address. Just e-mail it to me or send a PM here. My e-mail is: lathemill@juno.com Doug

Received the manual today. Thanks you Doug

Marci