What's new
What's new

Black Diamond BW-65 Drill Grinder

projectnut

Stainless
I was approached this morning by a local machine shop owner offering to sell a Black Diamond BW-65 drill grinder. It was originally purchased by the local National Guard base and is in like new condition. I doubt it has ever been used in that the finish is perfect, and there is no grinding dust anywhere on the machine. The manual that comes with it is a generic military manual with a publication date of 1975. Included in the potential sale is a complete set of collets and holders to sharpen drills from 1/16" to 3/4".

It must be an older machine in that the documentation that comes with it says it was purchased from the Black Diamond Saw and Machine Works in Natick MA. The current name of the company offering Black Diamond machines is Black Diamond Drill Grinders Inc.
It is located at 17 Viking Terrace Shrewsbury, MA 01545.

This is a 3 phase machine. In my searches I haven't found any Black Diamond machines of this model number, or any of size this that require 3 phase power. I'm wondering if this model was made specifically for the military. Does anyone have any information or opinions on this model machine.

I'm somewhat interested in the machine depending on price and availability of parts.

It's one of the turret style point setting models, here's a BW-75: BLACK DIAMOND Drill Grinder - YouTube

New with a complete set of collets new ones are worth up to 9K: Black Diamond Drill Grinders | Products

New (turret style) units come up on FleeBay for between $750 and $3K: black diamond drill in Manufacturing and Metalworking Equipment | eBay

I have one of the older models I restored and just love it, it grinds perfect every time and with the point splitter I've split points down to 3/32". Even cheap "quality import" drills cut better than new with the proper grind.

If it's like new with a complete set of collets, master collet & holder, point splitter and cabinate it's probably worth $2500 or more.

Well I just couldn't turn it down. As I mentioned earlier the machine is complete, and in like new condition. It is 3 phase, but I can temporarily set it up with a static converter while the electrical service in the shop is being upgraded. When he told me what he wanted for it I almost fell over. He was asking less than any of the junk listed on eBay, and is willing to deliver it to my shop. I could hardly get my hand in my pocket fast enough to pull out enough cash to complete the deal.

Well I just couldn't turn it down. As I mentioned earlier the machine is complete, and in like new condition. It is 3 phase, but I can temporarily set it up with a static converter while the electrical service in the shop is being upgraded. When he told me what he wanted for it I almost fell over. He was asking less than any of the junk listed on eBay, and is willing to deliver it to my shop. I could hardly get my hand in my pocket fast enough to pull out enough cash to complete the deal.

What a tease, lol!

Whatcha pay for it? All the bits and pieces? Cabinet?

Last edited:

I have a scans of a couple of manuals that cove the BW-70A to BW-95PC range of Black Diamond grinders. PM me if you'd like copies and give me your email address.

I have a scans of a couple of manuals that cove the BW-70A to BW-95PC range of Black Diamond grinders. PM me if you'd like copies and give me your email address.

Thanks for the offer. I do have the military manual, but there is other information in the cabinet I haven't gone over yet. I looked at the machine Friday and made the deal. I probably won't be getting it until late next week or early the following week. The current owner and I are trying to find compatible time in each of our schedules. When I do get it I'll look closely at the additional paper work. If I do need the manual I'll give you a PM.

As for the amount I paid for it, I have learned long ago not to share too much information. I'm lucky enough to be in an area of the country that has an abundance of high quality used machine tools. In the past I have discussed prices and have unfortunately been flamed by some who think no one would sell a quality machine for the price claimed to have I paid, so the only conclusion they could make is that I was lying about the price. On the other hand I've been accused of being an easy mark when others thought I paid too much for a machine. I just happened to come upon the offer when the shop owner and I went to breakfast. He knew the current (unmentionable brand) sharpener I have been using is on it's last legs, and he was tired of stumbling over a piece of equipment he had no use for.

As I mentioned in the first post this is a complete machine with collets holders, cabinet, side and face wheel dressers, and all guards and controls in place. I doubt it's ever been used other than for demonstration purposes. There is no grit on any of the collet holders, collets, cabinet, or on machine itself. The paint and stenciled identification number are like new. It was purchased as part of a lot of surplus equipment and has never been used by the current owner. He's in the process of downsizing to a smaller shop. He hasn't used it in over 5 years and finally decided to part with it.

Thanks for the offer. I do have the military manual, but there is other information in the cabinet I haven't gone over yet. I looked at the machine Friday and made the deal. I probably won't be getting it until late next week or early the following week. The current owner and I are trying to find compatible time in each of our schedules. When I do get it I'll look closely at the additional paper work. If I do need the manual I'll give you a PM.

As for the amount I paid for it, I have learned long ago not to share too much information. I'm lucky enough to be in an area of the country that has an abundance of high quality used machine tools. In the past I have discussed prices and have unfortunately been flamed by some who think no one would sell a quality machine for the price claimed to have I paid, so the only conclusion they could make is that I was lying about the price. On the other hand I've been accused of being an easy mark when others thought I paid too much for a machine. I just happened to come upon the offer when the shop owner and I went to breakfast. He knew the current (unmentionable brand) sharpener I have been using is on it's last legs, and he was tired of stumbling over a piece of equipment he had no use for.

As I mentioned in the first post this is a complete machine with collets holders, cabinet, side and face wheel dressers, and all guards and controls in place. I doubt it's ever been used other than for demonstration purposes. There is no grit on any of the collet holders, collets, cabinet, or on machine itself. The paint and stenciled identification number are like new. It was purchased as part of a lot of surplus equipment and has never been used by the current owner. He's in the process of downsizing to a smaller shop. He hasn't used it in over 5 years and finally decided to part with it.

Aw, what a buzz kill...

At least the OP knows how to spell cabinet....
:-)

Or how to use spell check!

Apparently I got my forums mixed up, isn't this alt.sex.pleasure?
297.gif

Urban Dictionary: cabinate

I did manage to get some time to bring the grinder to the shop today. As it turned out it was easier to stop over to the owners shop than have him deliver it.

It is a bit of an odd duck. There's only 1 tool holder with a couple master collets. There are inserts for the masters that sharpen fractionals from 1/8" to 3/4", Letters from A to X, and numbers from 1 to 30. In addition as I mentioned earlier it has a 1/3 hp 220 volt 3 phase motor. The ID plate shows the date of manufacturer to be 1974. The collet rack identifies the manufacturer as Black & Webster, hence the model number BW 65. The only thing I've done to it so far is knock a little dust off it from years of storage

Here are a few pictures:IMG_0590.jpg IMG_0588.jpg IMG_0587.jpg IMG_0583.jpg

I did manage to get some time to bring the grinder to the shop today. As it turned out it was easier to stop over to the owners shop than have him deliver it.

It is a bit of an odd duck. There's only 1 tool holder with a couple master collets. There are inserts for the masters that sharpen fractionals from 1/8" to 3/4", Letters from A to X, and numbers from 1 to 30. In addition as I mentioned earlier it has a 1/3 hp 220 volt 3 phase motor. The ID plate shows the date of manufacturer to be 1974. The collet rack identifies the manufacturer as Black & Webster, hence the model number BW 65. The only thing I've done to it so far is knock a little dust off it from years of storage

Here are a few pictures:View attachment 223606 View attachment 223607 View attachment 223608 View attachment 223609

Not an odd duck, that is the way they are. Yours is newer than mine as it has the turret on top for setting the different size ranges of drill. Did you get the web splitter?

Not an odd duck, that is the way they are. Yours is newer than mine as it has the turret on top for setting the different size ranges of drill. Did you get the web splitter?

My experience with this particular brand machine is limited. There was one in another shop at the company I worked for. I did use it on occasion, but I don't remember the model number. The main differences that lead me to use the term "odd duck" are that this machine is 3 phase, has a smaller set of collet inserts, and only a single tool holder and master collet set.

The machine I used in the past was single phase, had at least 3 tool holders, 3 master collet sets, and duplicates of all inserts. In addition the fractional collet inserts went down to 1/16", the letter inserts went to Z, and the number inserts went to 52.

I do not believe the machine I purchased has a point splitter. There is an additional box of accessories I haven't gone through thoroughly. I did notice the 3/4" master collet, a couple what I assume to be cleaners for the bores on the profile and grinding tubes, a new spare grinding wheel and an as yet unknown replacement part.

I got the machine cleaned up and dialed in last night thanks to manuals Mike Henry sent me. I looked through all the information from Mike, reread the manuals I had, and did some online research, but still have one part I can't identify. The bore on this particular part matches the OD of the collet draw tube, but I can't see where it would fit on the machine. I've included a few pictures. If anyone could identify it I would appreciate the help.

IMG_0625.JPG IMG_0621.JPG IMG_0620.JPG IMG_0619.JPG

I got the machine cleaned up and dialed in last night thanks to manuals Mike Henry sent me. I looked through all the information from Mike, reread the manuals I had, and did some online research, but still have one part I can't identify. The bore on this particular part matches the OD of the collet draw tube, but I can't see where it would fit on the machine. I've included a few pictures. If anyone could identify it I would appreciate the help.

View attachment 224043 View attachment 224044 View attachment 224045 View attachment 224046

We'll tell you what it's for if you tell us what you paid?
www_MyEmoticons_com__fishing.gif

Back